Lonely Chicken???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jules3, Oct 19, 2013.

1. jules3

jules3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2013
    Hello everyone...
    This past Wednesday afternoon we lost two of our three chickens. Does anyone know if the single chicken left can be depressed? Hope this doesn't sound dumb...:)

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    It's not dumb, and yes, a single chicken can be stressed and depressed all alone. They're flock animals and need companions. If I were you, I'd buy a couple of started pullets or even older hens (you can get them cheap this time of year) to keep her company.

3. jules3

Oct 19, 2013
    Thank you...I am looking. But don seem to be having any luck with finding any grown chickens. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

4. WalkingOnSunshine

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Have you looked on Craigslist? There are always chickens for sale on there.

And if you want to throw money at the problem and don't mind paying shipping for grown chickens, Murray McMurray has started pullets for sale right now. And you don't have to worry about disease if you buy from a hatchery. http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/started_pullets.html

5. jules3

Oct 19, 2013
    Thanks for the link. I have been checking craigslist like crazy. Either the listing are really old or the location a good distance. :(

6. WalkingOnSunshine

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    If it helps, I've always been pleased with the birds I've gotten from MMM. I've never bought their started pullets, though.

7. jules3

Oct 19, 2013
    I checked out their site. Do have a sale on right now. Never got far enough to find out about shipping. Any idea about the shipping?

8. WalkingOnSunshine

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    No--I do know that shipping adult chickens is very expensive. I buy my started pullets from Meyer (even though I like MMM's stock better) because Meyer is within driving distance and I don't have to pay shipping for them.

MMM has very nice customer service. Call them up and ask.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by