Lonely chicken

siobhan47

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 29, 2014
New Zealand
Hi everyone.. first post. Hoping for some advice.

I work at a preschool. We started out with two hens, given to us by a preschool family. When the older one (Mama) went broody we got her some fertilised eggs and sent the other hen back to the farm because she was super aggressive and going after the children. Out of six eggs only one hatched (Peep). Obviously as far as Mama knew it was her baby and they were inseparable. Unfortunately we had to re-home Peep as he turned out to be a rooster. We are waiting on some female chicks but have been told it will be a few weeks until we can get them.

Mama has always been shy. She doesn't seem bothered by all the children around her, when she had Peep with her she would just find a quiet space for a dust bath or scratch around, etc, but she doesn't like being touched. Because I hand raised Peep he was super friendly and loved being handled, so I think Mama was more confident with him around. Now that she is alone she follows me around the playground and if we're all inside she just stands at the window watching us (but won't come in if I open the door). She is constantly making a lot of noise, like she's calling out for Peep :( She never used to react when I would walk at her, she would just scamper off, but now she freezes and lowers herself to the ground before dashing off if I come any closer.

She is still laying and eating and drinking. I'm just a bit worried about her, is there anything I can do to help her until we get her some company?

they reckon a mirror works for chicks but idk if it would work for adults. She will act like that until she has more company and she gets over the loss of her baby. How long till you can get her some company?

Could be a month?? Thinking I will ring the people tomorrow and ask for a more definite time frame! They said they were expecting fertilised eggs soon and then I would have to wait for them to hatch too.

That could be a while then. Have you considered trademe? Chicks are just starting to appear at this time of year, and adults and pol too of course

Yeah it is sad to see them that way, if your getting chicks or young ones maybe consider getting 2 so that you have 3 altogether so if something happens then you still have 2

Dad is a Buff Orpington, Mum is an Orpington cross. They're both supposedly female and are six weeks old.
My hen is not very happy... is spending all her time in her box so may even possibly be broody?? Which is really annoying cos I could have just bought more fertilised eggs lol. She's tried to peck them a few times so I'm mostly keeping them separate and then letting them spend a little bit of time with each other when I'm able to supervise.

Well they are little cuties. Haha typical if she is broody. No she wont like then much if she is thinking about going broody again

Back
Top Bottom