Lonely domestic goose

PondLady

Hatching
Sep 6, 2020
Hello all~ I have a rather large wildlife pond on my property about 1 acres of water with an island that is popular with the canadian geese. A few years ago, I noticed a pair of stray domestic geese would wander up the road to my place and back joining the canadians. Last year, one of the pair disappeared leaving the lone domestic goose. Unfortunately, now the Canadian geese leave from time to time, leaving the domestic goose all alone. It cries most of the time when they're gone and all night. Not sure what to do for it. It seems quite round and healthy so not a problem there but the crying is sad to hear. I don't want to get another goose as my property is not fenced all the way in and the road is deadly (how this goose keeps crossing sometimes and hasn't gotten hit is amazing).

Any advice for sanctuaries or anyone local to the Raleigh, NC area who'd like to add to their flock? I don't want to advertise widely for a home because not nice people out there.

Unfortunately, there may not be a lot you can do. A lot of times, geese will mate with one other for life and once gone, they'll act just as you're describing. Less than half of geese actually find new mates after the first.

Here's a link to a similar story.

https://honesttopaws.com/juliet-the-goose/

You may be able to rehabilitate him if he lets you come close. As in the story above, they were able to rehabilitate her by taking her from the environment and pairing her with another male. Good luck!

Unfortunately, there may not be a lot you can do. A lot of times, geese will mate with one other for life and once gone, they'll act just as you're describing. Less than half of geese actually find new mates after the first.

Here's a link to a similar story.

https://honesttopaws.com/juliet-the-goose/

You may be able to rehabilitate him if he lets you come close. As in the story above, they were able to rehabilitate her by taking her from the environment and pairing her with another male. Good luck!
Thanks for the info and how sad for Juliet. I have several Canadian geese here that come and go and raise their young each year at my pond. They seem to have adopted Mr or Mrs Goose. Funny, just as I posted, the Canadian geese came flying back so everyone is happy once again (for now). They leave for up to a week at a time though and the nonstop crying starts up again, so I'm thinking it's better for Mr/Mrs Goose to go somewhere just to have company of other geese...

Back
Top Bottom