Lonely drake in my complex

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bt95, Feb 1, 2014.

1. bt95

bt95 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2013
    In my complex we have a little set of streams and pipes and there's a Mallard Drake living there. He's apparently been there for years, but there are absolutely no other ducks living there... Is there anything I can do to make him less lonely? I'm obviously not going to go dump a domestic duck out there or anything. I've been feeding him some of the food I feed my own duck and I go out and talk to him. I just feel bad that he's lonely out there. :/

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Is his wings clipped? if not then he would be free to fly away for companionship if he wanted maybe he just prefers being alone, maybe he's old and has lost interest in females. That's awfully sweet of you to care and offer him food. Maybe others are doing the same thing and that's why he stays around. [​IMG]

3. SparrowHawkFarm

SparrowHawkFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    Oregon, USA
    He's he a wild duck hanging out by himself? Once a mallard drake came to our farm, he was lonely and it looked as if he lost his mate (he was a wild duck!). Well he joined the chickens and went to the coop to be closed in with them, we enjoyed Basil and loved him! Our friend gave us another duck so he'd have an extra friend, months later at six in the morning, the Eagle got the best of him though. =( the eagle came to the farm ever since.

4. bt95

bt95 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2013
    No his wings aren't clipped, he can fly pretty well. I don't think others are feeding him because there's a steep slope and lots of snow leading down to the stream. He seemed somewhat friendly for a wild bird... He did let us get pretty close to him. You're right though he could be older. His eyes almost looked as if they had cataracts or something. I guess I'll just keep feeding him for now. :) That's a picture of him from this morning

[​IMG]

5. bt95

bt95 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2013
    Aw I'm so sorry. :( My white Campbell is an entirely indoor duck and he always has at least one person with him. He'd been attacked previously by a dog and I couldn't imagine losing him.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    He sure is pretty and if he does have cataracts then he probably doesn't see very well and could be another reason for stay put instead of migrating, then again it could be a domestic Mallard that got away from someone and feels comfortable around humans since you say he seems pretty friendly, next time he's out on ground see if you can see a toe punch or back missing toe domestics have to be tagged like that to show they aren't wild when being kept.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That's sad so sorry for your loss,

[​IMG]

8. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    [​IMG]

9. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    [​IMG]
    He is indeed a pretty bird. Thanks so much for caring for him.

10. bt95

bt95 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2013
    He is pretty. Today I decided to bring my drake to see him and the mallard decided to come up to the bank and they both just sat there and ate together. It was my Quack's first time meeting another duck. It was pretty cute. :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by