lonely duck has lost his bonded partner

bunnykween

Hatching
Sep 13, 2017
I moved to a new house a few months ago which is near the beach and has lots of local ducks in the neighbourhood. two ducks, in particular, seemed to be quite at home in our garden and I took to feeding them and putting out a water tray so they could drink and bathe. Over the 6 months I've lived here I've put food and water out for them and every day without fail they would waddle into my garden, or wait out the front of my house so they could follow me in when I got home.
I know they are wild ducks and not technically pets but I have become so close to them and really do love them.
Two days ago my next door neighbour reversed over poor little Duckelberry Finn. I am absolutely heart broken and I've been crying on and off since I found out. Her partener, Duck Norris, has not left the patch of grass in front of my house since it happened. He just sits out the front near where she got killed and calls. I've tried to lure him into the shade in the garden at the back with food and water but he seems more scared of me than usual and won't come to me to get food like he used to.
About a week or two before Duckelberry was killed a new male duck had a fight with Duck Norris and tried to mate with Duckelberry. I hadn't seen her around as often after this happened so I figured she had gone off to mate with this new duck. i felt bad for Duck Norris and tried to be extra nice to him but every day he sat in the garden and waited for me to come out, then he called for the other duck and waited for 5 minutes to eat or drink until she made her way into the garden.

So I'm not sure if she left him to mate with another duck and was just coming back for food. or if there was something else going on. All I know at the moment is that Duck Norris seems upset and I don't know how to help him. Im willing to do anything for him i just want him to be happy

That's really too bad! I'm sorry for your girl.

I would suggest you buy another duck, but try to keep it a little wild so it explores more instead of sitting around all day. :)

That's really too bad! I'm sorry for your girl.

I would suggest you buy another duck, but try to keep it a little wild so it explores more instead of sitting around all day. :)

I was thinking about this but both ducks were originally wild and have just gotten accustomed to us being around. They used to both eat out of my hands :( If I were to get a new one do you think it would be ok with the other wild ducks? I'm also a renter and I'm scared if the owner sells the place I will either have to leave behind both ducks or split up a pair if they get on well.
I'm really worried about the male, he just sits in the same spot all day and waits whereas usually, he would head to the water behind our street for a few hours.
Sorry for all the questions! This is the first time I've ever really looked after ducks, I've always been a crazy bunny lady :D. But I really do love my little guy and I want to do everything I possibly can for him!

What type of wild Duck?...Ducks do not usually mate for life, only a season...He won't need another Duck from you..He will go off and find another mate...Give him a few days and he will get over the loss...
Sorry the Duck got ran over....
Best wishes.....

What type of wild Duck?...Ducks do not usually mate for life, only a season...He won't need another Duck from you..He will go off and find another mate...Give him a few days and he will get over the loss...
Sorry the Duck got ran over....
Best wishes.....

Ditto ^

If you do feel the want to raise ducks, maybe introduce another mallard (assuming, or whatever breed it may be). But be ready for them to fly away! They won't stay around forever unless they are indeed abandoned domesticated ducks. That would be a whole different situation though. Sounds like Duck Norris (love the names!) is just traumatized, it was probably a close call for him so we may just be ascribing human characteristics to this scared duck. He may not even be attached to poor Duckleberry and could just be shaken up from the scare. Give him some time, keep offering food, I think all will take care of itself and no need to interfere anymore.

Back
Top Bottom