lonely Duck - should I get ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mlrmfw99, Mar 19, 2015.

1. mlrmfw99

mlrmfw99 New Egg

Mar 19, 2015
    I have a year old female Khaki Campbell Duck who is living in a smaller (older) chicken run. We have about 20 hens and a few roosters next door in a newer, larger run. My duck was pretty much free roaming with her two boyfriends until the end of December, when the boys disappeared overnight. We put her in the old chicken run with two "teenage" Ameraucanas (a couple). They've been in there for three months, all three f them together, the hen and my duck even laying eggs together. Yesterday, the Ameraucana hen got out and into the other chicken run. When I tried to get her out, her mate went in with her. They are in there now, and seem to be totally fine with the other chickens.

So, my real question is about the duck. We weren't going to get any ducklings, but now I am wondering if I should get some ducklings for her so she won't be lonely. She has been quacking since yesterday whenever I go outside, and I think she is lonely. She is such a sweetheart - she gives me an egg a day like clockwork, and now that things have thawed, she is swimming around in her pool again. Is it a good idea to get her some ducklings to "mother," or is that dangerous to the ducklings?

Thanks!

2. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Getting another adult duck is s good idea but ducklings for her to "mother" is not. More than likely she will hurt them and they won't be able to be together till they are about the same size so a few months. She does however need company and ducks do get lonely. I would check craigslist for an adult duck or ducks.

3. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    I agree, another adult duck (or two) would be best in this situation. :)

4. mlrmfw99

mlrmfw99 New Egg

Mar 19, 2015
    Update : went out this evening to find the ameraucana hen had flown into the pen with my duck! She was in the hut with my duck and they had both laid their eggs. Since it was almost dark I reached in the chicken coop and grabbed her rooster, who was perched for the night. I put him in the duck pen, and the duck came running out to greet hIm. She danced all around him quacking, and I swear she was smiling. So, crisis averted. We might get some more ducks, but introduce them when they are older. Thanks for your responses!

5. DemonicFowl

DemonicFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2014
    South Eastern Mass

That was an adorable story. I can just picture it. :) hope they bond well!

6. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    How cute! Glad she got her friends back. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by