Lonely duck.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TerriB90, Oct 17, 2016.

1. TerriB90

TerriB90 Just Hatched

Jun 28, 2016
    Hi so unfortunately last night I lost my male runner duck. A fox got him but the female is fine I am super worried she will be lonely as they have been together since babies possibly siblings.. I have 4 chickens that she is with so she not totally alone but she is so lost this morning looking for him and is just not herself. Any advice? TIA

2. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    A mirror in the coop can help for now, but start looking for another duck I'm afraid.

3. TerriB90

TerriB90 Just Hatched

Jun 28, 2016
    But will she be ok with a new duck? Do they create a bond fast? Ps thanks for the advice I will put a mirror in now!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    If you find a new pal quickly, she should be happy to accept a new friend.
    And fix whatever allowed a fox to get your runner boy so the fox doesn't come back and get your remaining girl.

I have ducks and chickens.
    Summer 2014, I was down to 1 chicken. She hung around near the ducks, but the ducks aren't so fond of the chicken. They would tolerate her sort of near by and following a bit behind them, but never welcome her to their flock.
    I was finally able to add new chickens this spring. Added 2 chicks and while they mingle, that chicken is still pretty much a loaner chicken. You can see that sometimes she wants the company, but by and large, she spends a good time alone now.
    This is why I think sooner is better at getting a new friend.

5. TerriB90

TerriB90 Just Hatched

Jun 28, 2016
    Yeah ok I will start looking for another girl.. thank you for the info, I would hate for her to be a loner forever :(

6. PINOAK RIDGE

PINOAK RIDGE Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2016
    Tennessee
    Yes, ducks are flock animals and I would recommend acquiring a friend or a few. As TLWR stated, the sooner the better. Hopefully you can secure your yard, as once a predator learns it can get an easy meal, they will often keep coming back until the "buffet" is empty. [​IMG]

Hope this helps. Good luck and enjoy your ducks.

7. TerriB90

TerriB90 Just Hatched

Jun 28, 2016
    Fortunately it wasn't at my house, I had just separated my ducks from my chickens for a while as he was attacking one of my chickens trying to mate with her. I had them at my parents house in their chook pen hoping he would cool off and forget about her.. very sad I felt horrible :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by