Lonely Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ajohn0609, Sep 25, 2018.

1. ajohn0609

ajohn0609 In the Brooder

May 2, 2018
    So we have had 3 ducks since they were a week old. I let the dog meet them right away and they all got along great... ducks grew up and I let them free range with the dog and for MONTHS they’ve gotten along. Now all of a sudden my dog killed two of them!! I can’t figure out why!! And I’m worried about the last one, will it make it through the winter? Will it be ok all alone? What should I do?? I feel so lost

I think my dog killed them, got home yesterday and one was gone, got home today and the other one. But they weren’t acting scared of the dog yesterday. I really didn’t think it was her but I find it really strange it was one at a time, I just don’t know what else it could be!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Sorry that happened...:th
    The Duck needs a friend...What sex is it?

ajohn0609 likes this.
  3. ajohn0609

ajohn0609 In the Brooder

May 2, 2018
    Female, they were all females.

chickens really likes this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Definitely look for more Hens then..One Drake would be okay if you find female too

ajohn0609 likes this.
  5. townchicks

townchicks Crowing

Dec 1, 2016
    Contra Costa county, Ca.
    Why do you assume that it was the dog? If they were free ranging, it could be any number of things. It would be unusual behavior for a dog to kill one at a time, like that. Usually if they do start killing they just keep on chasing 'til everything's dead. Your duck needs a friend, but I recommend a secure run be built first, and figure out what is taking them. Maybe a game camera.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

So very sorry for your loss

ajohn0609 likes this.
  7. ajohn0609

ajohn0609 In the Brooder

May 2, 2018
    We are only a backyard hobby farm, and I can’t figure out anything else that would’ve done it during broad daylight. I thought maybe a hawk, but the main spot where the feathers were was under our trampoline.i would love to think it wasn’t my dog, but all signs point to her. Game camera is definitely on the get right away list. We are now planning on makin a very large run and mixing the chickens with the duck.

townchicks and Miss Lydia like this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

What breed is your dog if you don't mind me asking?

townchicks likes this.
  9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Coyote, fox, bobcat and other predators will hunt when hungry and when prey is available. I seriously doubt that your dog killed them. When dogs kill they generally kill all birds available with feathers scattered all over the place. Hopefully the remaining duck is still surviving.

townchicks and chickens really like this.
  10. townchicks

townchicks Crowing

Dec 1, 2016
    Contra Costa county, Ca.
    I think if it was your dog, you would have found bodies. Dogs will sometimes eat what they kill, (Mine would eat the squirrels he catches, if I let him) but he wouldn't be likely to carry them off and consume them elsewhere. Did you find any blood on the dog? Lots of fox. coyote, even bobcat attacks happen in daytime. I certainly would be careful with the dog and the remaining duck, it's not out of the question entirely, but it just doesn't have the earmarks of a dog attack.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: