1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

lonely duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cisco5, Sep 26, 2012.

1. cisco5

cisco5 New Egg

Sep 26, 2012
    Hi everybody!

I'm a total newbie and I really need some advice about a duck that I see on my walks every day. It's a white duck living by a fairly large pond with some mallards. There's a smaller pond nearby, with several white ducks, some mallards, geese, and a pair of swans. I know this may sound silly, but I can't help wondering if the white duck would be happier over at the other pond where it can be with its own kind. The duck used to have a buddy but I haven't seen the buddy since late spring. They were inseparable, but now the white duck mostly stays by itself.

What do you guys think? Am I just being overly sentimental? If I move the duck, what's the best way to do it safely and cause the least stress? It's not far from one pond to the next, just a few hundred yards. Both ponds are on state park property, so that won't be an issue. I really appreciate any advice and information, the last thing I want to do is make a situation worse.

Thanks so much! Looking forward to your thoughts!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

Actually the white duck you are describing sounds like a Pekin. These are not wild ducks and do not belong in a wild duck setting. The duck most likely lost it's pal to a predator due to the fact domestic ducks are not equipped to deal with predators the same way wild ducks are. If you can talk to the wildlife people that run the park you may get permission to take him in and find him a home acceptable for a domestic duck.

1 person likes this.
  3. cisco5

cisco5 New Egg

Sep 26, 2012
    I figured it was a domestic duck but I'm so ignorant I didn't even know what kind. I think you're right, I think a predator got the buddy. To be honest, I don't think anyone at the park would care if I took him (it's not like most state parks, I don't think there are any wildlife people on staff, just their own police and I already know from experience they don't care). How would you suggest I move him safely?

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    The hardest part is getting them away from the water. Once they are online I've found them to be a lot easier to catch. They also make nets designed to catch poultry and they do make things much much easier.

5. keyt1969

keyt1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

I suggest leaving it. Ducks go where ducks want to go (HI KEVIN!! lol). It may seem like it's lonely but it got there somehow! Unless you know someone who has ducks that could take it in I'd leave it where it is. They have excellent senses of nature and if they want to be with others they will be or others will find it. If it began it's life as a domestic duck and someone left it there then chances are it wouldn't matter if it was with other Pekins or the mallards, ducks are ducks...if that makes sense.

I see a lot of Pekins in the parks here. They happen to be one of the loudest breed of ducks so eventually people don't like having something that loud in their flock and they get dropped off. It's sad but it happens often!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by