lonely duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ekaufee17, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Ekaufee17

Ekaufee17 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Hey guys I've been incubating eggs and churning out ducklings for the last month now. I do a staggered incubation, and swap out any eggs that have died or weren't fertilized about every two weeks. About a week and a half ago my incubator temp shot up and I lost all the eggs but one. It hatched fine two days ago, but now I'm stuck with a single duckling. Not sure what to do at thee moment. The poor thing is terribly lonely, and I obviously can't put him with my adult ducks, and even putting him with the group that hatched two weeks ago would be risky and probably fatal for him. I can't find any ducklings his age for sale on craigslist either... any ideas? I'm trying the stuffed animal trick, but the duckling just cries and cries when I leave him

2. Ekaufee17

Ekaufee17 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Can you find a chick for him? If you can't find a duckling, try looking for a chick just to keep him company.
    Or, if it's possible, see if you can build the lone duckling a pen of some sort near the bigger ducklings. Just so he can see and hear them. That might help keep him from feeling lonesome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by