Lonely goose

sarah315

Chirping
12 Years
Jan 20, 2008
A coyote snatched our female goose a couple nights ago.
sad.png
She had just started to assemble the nest and lay too. I'm sure the end was quick for her, but the real tragedy is her mate, Alfalfa, is so sad and forlorn. Not only did he lose his mate, but his chance at goslings as well. If I got a gosling from a hatchery would he adopt it? I know that both geese parent their young, but will a lone male goose raise a youngster?

goosedragon

Songster
10 Years
Mar 28, 2009
Central NC
Quote:
You can try, but be prepared to raise it yourself. I once lost a mama goose on the day she came off the nest (defending against dog attack) the goslings that lived were presented to the lone gander with a great deal of care on my part with my fingers crossed. The goslings went and hid under him and he took over and raised them. This one example can not directly link to your problem (he knew the goslings were coming) and is to small to generalize from. Maybe others have experienced something like this.

rainplace

Interstellar Duck Academy
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Northwestern Washington
I bought two ducklings this winter and our Roman gander and female Chinese adopted them and protected them from the other three geese. The Chinese would sometimes lose interest in them but the gander did not.

Top Bottom