Lonely guinea fowl :(

CPT

Songster
Sep 19, 2017
Star, Idaho
Well, I am now down to lone guinea fowl. She is a female. At one point, we had 9 guineas. Most of them were finished off by an awful raccoon attack a few months ago. Our one lonely female had a male friend, and he is MIA. We think a predator got him. Our guineas run free range around the farm, and they usually come back in the evening inside the chicken coop. (they get along fine with the chickens). We don't want to get more guineas; they were fun to have around, but now just a plain hassle. We keep all our birds as pets here. Wondering what to do? The poor thing keeps calling out for her mate, but he doesn't show up. :confused:

I understand what you are going thru. A few years ago one of my males disappeared while guarding his mate on the nest. She spent several days calling for him and it is such a sad sight and sound. Your hen will adjust eventually to being alone and spend more time with the chickens. But I agree with @The Moonshiner that she would be happier to be with a flock of her own kind. Especially since it is breeding season now. Check around your area and see if someone is looking for a female to add to their flock. Or you could sell her on Craig's List but I would make sure she is going to a good home with other guineas. ;)

We actually found someone that will rehome our guinea fowl hen with their guineas, so that's good. Meanwhile, the hen sleeps in the coop at night with the other birds. Wondering how to capture her/transport her without getting the dickens scratched out of me.....hubby suggested a net? Any other suggestions?

Ya we use a net a lot.
Don't grab them by the tail or you'll likely end up with just a whole tail worth of feathers.

Go in when it is totally dark and throw a towel over her, pinning her wings down. And keep her feet away from you. Best to have long sleeves and gloves. And someone to help you! Glad you found a home for her. Make sure the new owners know that she needs to be confined a few weeks. Otherwise she may just fly away. Good luck!

p.s. a pet carrier or large box will work fine for transporting.

Ok, some nice people came over to take our lonely guinea fowl, as they also have a lonely guinea. Glad she'll have a new home. :love

Funny how we started with 12 keets last year, now we were down to just one. :( Oh well. They were fun to have around, but they were wild birds and had a mind of their own, and basically free ranged all over the farm. Spent many times chasing them down or out of the neighbor's yards. But they always came back in the evening to hang out with the rest of the flock. I just loved those silly birds, but completely heart-broken when about half of them were wiped out by a raccoon attack. Sooo....I think we'll just stick with chickens.

So sorry your guinea adventure didn't work out well. They are such funny characters. It does get aggravating when you have to chase them off the neighbor's property or in my case off the gravel road in front of our house. :rant
But I am glad you found a home for your hen. Sounds like you made 2 guineas less lonely.

Well, I am now down to lone guinea fowl. She is a female. At one point, we had 9 guineas. Most of them were finished off by an awful raccoon attack a few months ago. Our one lonely female had a male friend, and he is MIA. We think a predator got him. Our guineas run free range around the farm, and they usually come back in the evening inside the chicken coop. (they get along fine with the chickens). We don't want to get more guineas; they were fun to have around, but now just a plain hassle. We keep all our birds as pets here. Wondering what to do? The poor thing keeps calling out for her mate, but he doesn't show up. :confused:
Wow we have one left as well - a male! He has become very aggressive towards my husband but we don't know if getting more will help as he is 3 years old. They certainly do help with the tick population though!

Back
Top Bottom