Lonely Hatchling-what should I do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by futurefarmer08, Feb 14, 2009.

1. futurefarmer08

futurefarmer08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    near Sac. Ca
    Hi Everyone,
    I have one little BC Marans that hatched on day 20. I am hoping that today on day 22 there is still hope for brothers or sisters:confused:. It is so sad to see it all cute and fluffy by itself. I really want to hold it but I have come down with the worst cold ever and do not want it to be sick. Isn't that the worst? Here's a cute fluffy baby and you can't even hold it![​IMG] Yes pity party for 1![​IMG] So anyway...If no other eggs hatch...what should I do? If I order more hatching eggs that's like 2 mo out. If I get chicks that's 1 month out after quarentine. I have had the worst time with unscrupulous people and hatching eggs!!! I have 2 brooder boxes in my guest room. 1 for the 6 week old hatches (who are very curious about the new baby) and the brooder for the 1. Originally, I wanted to get 2 different lines to breed. Please advise!! I did put a soft little stuffed animal in the brooder box for my little one to snuggle with. [​IMG] Let me know what you would do!

2. Sammysmom

Sammysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    No worries. I had an only hatchling last year. I put a stuffed animal in with him and paid as much attention to him as possible. He was fine.[​IMG]

3. 4kidZ

4kidZ Fluffy Butt Farmer

buy a turkey feather duster at wal-mart for $.97. It will cuddle with it and stay warm [​IMG] It's the cutest thing ever, too!

~4kidZ

4. timbofarms

timbofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Humboldt/West TN
    It will do just fine. Just give it time.

5. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Give it a friend by tapping a mirror so it can see self .[​IMG]

6. futurefarmer08

futurefarmer08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    near Sac. Ca
    Great advice guys thanks! I ended up going down to the feed store and picking up a couple black australorp chicks. There was only a weeks difference in age. It was hilarious to integrate them. The only child did not know why there were "Chickens!" in her brooder box. After all she was human and she wanted us to get her out of there. The australorps were sweet as can be and looked at her like she was their mother. They kept trying to get under her (thus knocking her over) and under her wings for comfort. Even though she was just 1 week older!! Too cute. Now a few weeks later, they all love each other![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by