lonely hen

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by melawrence, Feb 21, 2016.

1. melawrence

melawrence New Egg

Feb 21, 2016
    Hello all [​IMG]
    We are new to chicken keeping and have had a flock of 5 since Christmas. Today the new next door dog decided he wanted chicken for lunch. We lost 4 out of the 5. Our children (and us!!)are devastated!
    My question is: will my lone chicken be ok by herself, or should we get more assp? When we introduce more, is there a limit in number yo not ovetwhelm her?)She was the bottom of the pecking order, and not part of the 'in-crowd'. (I think that's how she survived!! )
    Help please [​IMG] tia

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    hi and welcome to BYC - sorry that its not in the best of circumstances that you have made your first post. I'm sure that you and your neighbour are not the best of friends right now!

Chickens are social animals and yes, she will benefit significantly from having other chickens around. I'd suggest that you read up on integrating new chickens (just type that into the search box) and you will find some great advice.

If you get chickens that are a little younger than your current, lone chicken, then she will be less likely to feel overwhelmed and she is likely to assume the role of alpha female. Whilst this may change over time, they will all have become familiar with each other by that time. Others may have other suggestions for you to consider, this is simply what i would do in your situation.

All the best
    CT

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] So sorry to hear about your loss! Ditto what the above poster said. Also check out the Learning Center articles on integrating and adding new flock members. I hope your neighbours will keep their animals under control from now on...

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Tia

Glad you could join the flock but I so wish it was under better circumstances. How very sad to have lost your birds in this way :hugs I agree with CT that she will be happier with new friends. Here is a lovely article on adding new birds ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-see-but-don-t-touch-method
    Have you spoken to your neighbor about keeping their dog under control now? Can you make things a bit safer for your birds just incase this dog ever got loose again? It would be awful if this happened again.

Good luck for the future :fl

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So sorry but, the dog will be back. Very seldom will the owner put them up. Check out the predator section for information on keeping the dog AWAY from your birds.

7. chickens r life

chickens r life Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2015
    The Golden State
    Welcome to BYC and So sorry for your losses.

8. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. So sorry for your losses. :hugs

9. melawrence

melawrence New Egg

Feb 21, 2016
    Thank you everyone!! We are looking to upgrade our coops fence, although we are on 9 acres and we let them free range! Neighbours are devastated also and now have dog muzzled. They are also getting some electric fence/zappy collar! I think after your suggestions we will introduce a few younger ones as soon as we find some.
    Thank you everyone!!!

10. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

That's wonderful news. I'm so glad your neighbors are working to prevent this tragedy from happening again. :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by