Lonely hen

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by baderwoman, May 31, 2016.

1. baderwoman

baderwoman Just Hatched

May 31, 2016
    We have 2 beautiful buff Orphington hens! Thelma and Louise. They have been raised together since they hatched and unfortunately Louise just passed away. Thelma seems very upset and she keeps looking around for Louise and we would like to know what we can do for her to make her happy again. We have 3 other hens and 3 little chicks. They are all together. Louise passed yesterday. Our hearts are breaking for our sweet Thelma!

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Chickens are very social animals. Usually, after the death of one hen, the other chickens seem lonely and look for the chicken. However, once a couple days have passed, they quickly return to normal life. Sorry for your loss!

3. baderwoman

baderwoman Just Hatched

May 31, 2016
    Thank you. I was wondering if i needed to find her another Louise. We are all very sad

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think she just needs time to get over this. I'm sorry your hen passed ,buff Orps are such sweet birds.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello.

All the best
    CT

6. baderwoman

baderwoman Just Hatched

May 31, 2016
    Thank you! [​IMG]

7. Wileycoyote

Wileycoyote New Egg

Aug 2, 2016
    I recently lost the third of my four Sussex hens and now have just one. After reading everything I could there seemed to be nothing that could be done for a single hen except get more hens or rehome. I don't want more hens and didn't want to rehome as she's my pet and therefore my responsibility. When her best pal Ethel died, Mammy T was clearly upset and calling for her. I decided I'd bring her into the house in the evenings and this helped but what really worked was a mirror she found which was propped up on the floor. She stared at it for ages, then attacked it, then made friends. She would sit next to her image and preen and snooze so I put another in her run and exactly same reaction, thinking it was a different hen! I've now got mirrors dotted about outside and she's doing great. I'm surprised this hasn't been recommended anywhere online but hope this helps anyone with similar problem.

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Wow! I never would have thought about this working for a single hen. That is awesome. :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by