Lonely Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by alex_s, Sep 6, 2010.

1. alex_s

alex_s New Egg

May 11, 2009
    We've had some bad luck recently resulting in a few chicken deaths. We're now left with a very lonely, sick hen and an unwell chic (perhaps the carrier of whatever killed the others).

Since becoming unwell and losing her companion, the older hen has become very solemn, nervy and generally unhappy. We'd love to mix both the hen and (very neurotic) chic but as its getting cold the chic isn't old enough to live outside. Also, if we bring in new hens at this stage I fear they may become ill.

Both are currently on antibiotics (Tylan) and we hope all will clear up so we can pair them together outside within the next month. In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions how we could enrich the older hen's life? (The chick is content with human company and watching TV indoors!)

The vet, although unconfirmed, suggested they may have Mycoplasma which I understand to be contagious even once treated. Could we repopulate the flock once the symptoms vanish? I'd hate to have to cull our current birds, although sick and barmy, we love them to bits!

2. Tenderft chick

Tenderft chick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Chickens are flock animals they need to be in a flock whether that be people or other birds. If you have a crate or something you could bring the hen in to the house, this will also help keep her quiet and help in the healing process as she doesn't have to be alone and also constantly "looking" for food. Hope they get better soon.

3. jessaw1981

jessaw1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    if it were me with one chicken left I would cull and start over. Taking care to really clean and sanitize everything. just what I think. And if you bring in more if / when she feels better the others could get sick and that's not good. unless your just happy with the one chick and chicken you have left. good luck in whatever you decide to do.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'm so sorry. I've had chickens off and on for years and never had to go through this.

This is a decision I'm afraid only you can make.

5. mama2many

mama2many Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    I smell a house hen in your future. Bring her in with the chic....the more the merrier. Place her in the kitchen or someplace with a lot of traffic. I do the tub in my kids room in a crate open on all sides. I have a 4 and 6 year old who are ALWAYS in the bathroom. They go in and check on the patient and keep them company. I have a pair of silkies moving in this evening. Too cold outside and big booboo on papa's back =time in the tub with the kids. I would move your hen in until you decide on her fate. Keep her warm and happy-should you decide a different fate awaits her-well ask a friend to come and take care of it for you. You must have other chicken keeping friends who will be more than willing to help you with a chickie they themselves are not attached to. Then clean clean clean and start over. I wish you the best of luck, hope she makes a full recovery and there are many friends in her future.

6. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Yes, a house chicken! All you need is a dog crate and a chicken diaper!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by