Lonely, injured chook needed mates

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gjb, Jul 26, 2011.

1. gjb

gjb New Egg

Jul 4, 2011
    My two Isa Browns were attacked by wild dogs a couple of weeks ago. I lost one and nursed the survivor back to health. Although still lame, after about a week she was ready to spend the days in her chook yard but as the second week progressed she just got sadder and sadder, lighter and lighter as she virtually stopped eating. She'd spend the days standing on one spot in her yard and by the end of that second week she'd put herself to bed at about lunch time. It was horrible watching her pine away. We put two new pullets in with her at the end of the second week and she perked up immediately! She started eating again, had dust-baths, preened the two new chooks and hobbled around her yard and house. Apart from her limp, she's back to her old self. I had been worried about pecking so delayed the introduction of new chooks but in hindsight she probably would have improved faster if they had been introduced a bit earlier. We're very pleased to have 3 chooks again. One girl on her own is such a sad sight!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    That's a great "feel good" story. good for you figuring out she was lonely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by