Lonely lucky the bronze turkey with 2 psycho adopted siblings

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by suzc, Aug 26, 2013.

1. suzc

suzc Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2013
    On a Welsh hill farm
    I recently hatched a single bronze turkey from a batch of eggs - unfortunately it was the only one of 6 to hatch - it would appear I may have had too much humidity and the other 5 could not get out of the egg - I helped lucky and he/she is a lovely strong 4 week old now :). - my problem is that as I thought he would be lonely I bought 2 similar sized turkey poults from a local supplier to keep him company - these birds are just Pschyo - they jump in the air at the slightest sound and have taken all the skin off their heads on the wire on the roof o their run - just went out to put them in for the night and 1 knocked himself so senseless I will be surprised if he survives until morning - is this normal behaviour ?? -lucky is so sweet and calm he sits on my shoulder and sleeps in the crook of my arm - you would not believe they could be the same breed of bird :rolleyes:

2. Sphynxii

Sphynxii Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2013
    Im no expert but of my two turkeys within the first week of having them i spent more time with the one i thought was a tom so that he would be friendly, the one i spent less time with is very hard to get close to, they are still both very quite but i think you will find that its like any animal and how it was raised determains the behaivour. It would probably be best if you found someway to spend more time with them if possible, i have had chickens that would run away but when they went broody we moved them to a smaller pen and i began to hand feed her and her chickens and now she comes over to you and eats from you hand, it is a long process gaining an animals trust but it can be done. Id say your two adopted ones havent been handled much at all and have had very little to do with people, so the fix should be simple. befriend them. :) I hope this helped.:)

3. suzc

suzc Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2013
    On a Welsh hill farm
    Thanks - I am trying but I have to balance the time I try to get near them with the damage they do to themselves when I am anywhere near - I can now get to within about 10 feet their cage with them just running their beaks along the wire from side to side like prisoners banning thief Tim mugs along he bars but if I get closer they brain themselves on the roof :/

4. Sphynxii

Sphynxii Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2013
    Thats a bummer, one of my hens got stuck in a little pen and went to get out and started running her beak along the mesh and now she has a crooked beak :/ . I hope you eventually quiten the silly things down as they are lovley birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by