Lonely Male brown Chinese Goose in Florida - Help

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Mymzee, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Mymzee

Mymzee New Egg

Jul 26, 2014
    Hello everyone...

I recently went to visit family near Ft. Walton Beach, FL and found that on the bayou where they live, there is a lonely Chinese goose. He seems to be a male (large bump). He cries all day and apparently he had a mate, but the mate has been gone for a long time now. He is not able to make friends with any of the other birds or ducks and has effectively ran them all off. He seems to want human interaction, but ends up attacking everyone. I was there for 3 days and he latched on to me. He allowed me to pet him and carry him and did not allow anyone else to get near me. He would cry when he would see me or when I would leave, but calm down if I just sat on the beach with him. My concern is that he is anxiously looking for company and can't find the right fit.
    He has a great location as he has full access to the homes and beaches on the bayou and some people even feed him so I don't know that removing him would from here to a lake say, would be the right thing or maybe he just needs to be paired up with another lonely goose[​IMG]

I do not have any experience with this subject so I'm praying that someone can offer some help. Thank you so much.
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Wouldn't it be wonderful if someone who lived around there and had other geese would adopt him? Being a domestic he could easily be removed without breaking any laws. They mate for life so he really does need a mate . Maybe your parents can find out how to go about putting some ads up in local feed stores or other places and maybe just maybe he can find a loving home with his own kind, being flock animals they really need their own. Bless you for caring. And would it be possible for you to take him and find him a mate? or know some one who could? Might post here to and see if anyone can help some how..
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/305793/florida-always-sunny-side-up

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  3. Mymzee

Mymzee New Egg

Jul 26, 2014
    Hi Miss Lydia... Thank you for your post. Unfortunately it's my sister-in-law's house and they do not care for the sweet goose (which I temporarily name Gooscille Ball [​IMG]) They are ok with me trying to find someone to rehome him.. but they wont be doing any of the leg work. I live 6 hours away, so I'm helpless. I completely fell in love with his sweet nature and my heart breaks knowing that he is trying to find someone to latch on to. He would see me across the bayou and start honking away and would swim all the way over to be with me. I would also go out on the kayak or raft and he would stay with me the entire time. I was hoping that someone from the area would read my post and perhaps know what would be the best way to handle the situation. I'll try your link. Thanks again!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

If you post on the Florida thread you just may find someone to help since this gander is so sweet who wouldn't want to take him home. I think someone must have dumped him, That's how most domestic water fowl end up at lakes and ponds. Please let us know how it is going And we'll keep this thread going in case someone comes in and wants to adopt him. Might post here also. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16182/animals-in-need-of-free-re-homing

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by