lonely Muscovy

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Henny Penney, May 2, 2008.

1. Henny Penney

Henny Penney In the Brooder

May 2, 2008
    wet side of WA
    Along with our chickens we have raised Muscovies about 28 years. Three years ago our little flock got reduced to a pair by several sad circumstances, including an aggressive digging raccoon. This pair lived contently until yesterday when our drake died [​IMG] he was somewhere between 15 –18, we lost track). She was beginning to lay eggs and is sitting on her nest today, but we have taken the eggs because for three summers we have let her set (5 times total) with no results. We believe he may have been impotent due to age. So my question is.....we can't find anywhere to get Muscovy eggs, I've checked with several hatcheries. We also have never found a NW source for adult muscovies, another possibility. Anyone know anywhere, anyone who raises muscovies who might be able to sell us some eggs? Thanks for any help.

2. fowlfriends

fowlfriends In the Brooder

Mar 12, 2007
    Battle Ground, Wa
    Where in the NW are you?

3. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Songster

Jan 25, 2008
    There are Muscovy eggs on ebay going for about $1 a dozen, but you would have to pay shipping. So probably about $15 for a dozen 'scovy eggs?

I wanted to say sorry about the drake, but I caught myself and realized he lived a really good, really long life. No premature or traumatic deaths. So I won't say I'm sorry for the death of the drake, but I am sorry about the lonely female. Hope you can find some little duckies for the momma!

-Kim

4. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Songster

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    floridachick sells them.

5. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Songster

Mar 20, 2008
    I've heard (never experienced so don't go by me unless someone backs me up) that shipped waterfowl eggs don't hatch very well. And McMurray sells them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: