Lonely partridge

Alpops

Chirping
5 Years
May 7, 2014
France
Hi everyone! I live in France, where the hunting season has just started. Yesterday I saw a male partridge on the side of the road so I stopped to check on him. He was in shock but unharmed so I scooped him up and have put him in with our young chickens/chicks where at least he is safe. Today he has only just ventured out of his hiding spot (it's 4pm), only to be pecked by a young cockerel, and he's just squished head first into a gap to hide again. I am loathe to let him go as he'll be found straight away by the hunting dogs, but he seems so unhappy. Can anyone give me some advice on what partridges need re. cover/ space/ presence or absence of other fowl...? I am trying to find him a female for sale but so far no luck and I don't hold out much hope as they have all just been released for hunting. Any advice would be great

I assume it's a French Red Legged partridge (no pun intended). Sounds like you have tried to find it a mate. It does need to be seperated from the other fowl, especially, since it's getting attacked by the cockerel. Otherwise, you'll find it seriously injured or dead. Gamebirds and domestic poultry don't mix well. Feed it gamebird feed if you have any on hand, at least 20% protein and higher if you can find it. HTH

Back
Top Bottom