Lonely peacock

ClaireSimon

Chirping
9 Years
Feb 17, 2014
Northern idaho
Hello! I am new to peafowl and recently was given a 3 year old peacock and 2 -1 year old peahens. We had them penned up for 2 1/2 weeks when our 9 year old daughter forgot to close the gate securely. They all got out. They all stayed around for a few days, calling to each other from around the property. But it now seems that the pea hens have "flown the coop" so to speak. The peacock has apparently decided to stay for some reason. He seems to like our chickens. He won't let us get close to him. My question is: since we don't hear the peahens calling anymore should we assume that they have left? And if so, should we get more to keep him happy or would he be fine living with the chickens in definitely? He has been displaying what is left of his feathers to them. Thank you for any feedback or suggestions!

Hello! I am new to peafowl and recently was given a 3 year old peacock and 2 -1 year old peahens. We had them penned up for 2 1/2 weeks when our 9 year old daughter forgot to close the gate securely. They all got out. They all stayed around for a few days, calling to each other from around the property. But it now seems that the pea hens have "flown the coop" so to speak. The peacock has apparently decided to stay for some reason. He seems to like our chickens. He won't let us get close to him. My question is: since we don't hear the peahens calling anymore should we assume that they have left? And if so, should we get more to keep him happy or would he be fine living with the chickens in definitely? He has been displaying what is left of his feathers to them. Thank you for any feedback or suggestions!
I wouldn't assume they left. the female will typically stay around the males. I would get him a friend but he could be fine with the chickens. They are flock animals and if they have a flock he should be happy. Do you have a rooster?? I had a turkey who lived with chickens and was happy

We presently have 3 roosters unfortunately. (I plan to "process" 2 of them shortly).
It just seems odd that we don't hear the peahens calling anymore. Could they possibly be nesting this late in the year?

We presently have 3 roosters unfortunately. (I plan to "process" 2 of them shortly).
It just seems odd that we don't hear the peahens calling anymore. Could they possibly be nesting this late in the year?
as long as the rooster(s) and him don't fight, he will be fine. The peahens might be nesting. My chickens all went broody today. It is weird you don't hear them.

Do you have a large open space that is visible from all around? If so get a watermelon and slice it up and place it out in the open space, if the peas are within sight they will likely come in to feed...

Beyond that when I was younger we lost our two pen hens leaving us with just the cock, he seemed plenty happy hanging out, flirting and strutting his stuff for the chickens...

Thank you. I will try that. We have some open space. Unfortunately our chickens tend to get to things first as they are free range. But I will put it where they generally don't go.

I generally recommend keeping Peas penned up for at least 3 months after moving them. They are a territorial bird and they need time to forget about their old territory and get used to the new one. I'm afraid 2 1//2 weeks is just not long enough, I would say you are lucky the male has stayed. If the hens were on nests you would probably see/hear them come off the eggs at least once a day. They usually come in walking fast and honking loudly, looking for food and water they can get down quickly, so they can get back to the nest ASAP. The male will probably be fine until next spring, but when breeding season rolls around again, he could very well decide to leave in search of a mate. So I guess the bottom line is... if your hens are truly gone, and you want the male to stay, you should get him some female companionship before next spring. IMO

We had planned on keeping them penned three months. I'm grateful the peacock stayed. That's kind of what I thought. Thank you.

I used to have golden pheasants until my son, 7 at the time, didn't close the door securely. They all disappeared, so I know how easily it can happen.
hugs.gif
I hope the male sticks with you.

Back
Top Bottom