LONELY ROOSTER, how to introduce hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by two early, Mar 21, 2011.

1. two early

two early Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    OK, so I think I posted in the wrong forum. I have one rooster that my son brought to me from his flock. After building me a hen house, I put the rooster in it for 4 days. We let him out today. I want to introduce some pullets, but someone told me the rooster may kill them. Any ideas for this newbie? How can I get him to accept the hens?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    [​IMG]

Here's a great link to integration that I love to give out.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock

That gives you the basics of how to integrate when you decide to do it. You need to have hens that are older than is normal. Most people like to get day old chicks and raise them up, but having a rooster already makes it necessary to get some started pullets. You can generally order started pullets from your local feed store or directly from some of the big hatcheries. Be aware that these started pullets are frequently de-beaked which is a barbaric practice that I wish they would stop, but...that's how they are sold, so there's not much to do about it. Your other option is to look on Craigslist or find a local breeder selling older birds. Some point-of-lay pullets, quarantined for a month to make sure they are healthy, add them to your rooster's pen... He will think he's died and gone to heaven.

If you were to try to add youngsters in with him, things would not go well. But, you add some healthy young ladies about his size and age to his pen and chances are good he will love both you and them.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by