Lonely Rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fopzuu, Sep 15, 2007.

1. fopzuu

fopzuu Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2007
    Maryland
    We have "adopted" a lone rooster. He is beautiful! I think he might be a Leghorn- but he doesn't have white earlobes... So maybe he's mixed with a Long Island Red...I don't know but, to me, he is the epitome of CHICKEN. My question is- Should we get him a couple of hens? Is he truly lonely? I have become very attached to him, despite having grown up a "city girl". Any info would be appreciated since I am brand new to all of this:)[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  2. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Im sure that he would love it if you got him a few (or half a dozen) hens, LOL.
    Welcome to BYC!

Chel <-------(chicken addiction enabler)

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh DEFINATELY...get him a few...dozen if possible...hens. He would be eternally gratefull! Do you have a good warm place for them? Chicken coop..nest boxes...Ohhh the fun !! And you will be GLAD you did, when you get those first yummy eggs....just think, fresh eggs for breakfast...bakeing..will make ALL of your family and friends envy you!! I say....GET MORE!! [​IMG]

4. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    I second that.....no wait, I guess I am third in line.[​IMG]

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    At the very least get him 3 hens.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Same thing happened to me , had the rooster for 4 years. He was wonderful. Karen

7. fopzuu

fopzuu Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2007
    Maryland
    Thanks, now I just need to find somewhere in Maryland to get two or three to start with!! I'm thinking white leghorns...I just want the eggs-I don't think I could handle chicks![​IMG]

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

White leghorns will lay you eggs like none other! But, they are flighty birds so play with them alot as chicks and they won't freak out as much in small numbers.

9. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Never ask a chicken board "Should I get more chicks?" hee hee.

[​IMG]

10. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Of course you need to get him some girls!! Get a bunch of different breeds...the more variety the better. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by