Lonely/sad Chicken.........Advice needed PLEASE!!!

Litleburgs

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 12, 2012
Hello...

Not sure where to begin with this, i am new to posting stuff and threads, etc., however i am hoping someone out there can help me out.

It has been a rough month for me with my girls. I started with (3) 7 month old silkies for pets. We had a wonderful summer and everything went great- the girls free ranged, slept in their coop at night and when i was gone during the day, etc., About 3 weeks ago, my special needs silkie was killed by a hawk when i went inside to fold laundry.

This past weeekend, while i was out of town, my housesitter/petsitter said she had trouble securing the coop doors so she duct tape them. (duct tape??!!) Anyways, the next morning she woke up and the coop door was open and my tan silkie, Rosie was missing. All my girlfriends stepped up to the plate and did a mass search for hours (as i was 500 miles away) trying to find my girl and the consensus is she was eaten by a raccoon. There were feathers going up a tree.... just breaks my heart.

I guess what i am trying to figure out, is what i should do now???? Loretta, my last hen, is beside herself. She is calling out trying to find her best friend Rosie and i am just sick to my stomach. I have a crib in the house that i always put the girls in when the weather is bad and that is where i have Loretta now. I dont want her out in that coop all by herself- at least she has the dogs, myself and the kids to keep her company.

With this said, i have looked online to see if there are available older silkies in the area that i can adopt for her as a companion as soon as possible, but i cannot find any. (i live in a suburb of Chicago)

I am hoping someone out there can help me... either by knowing of a breeder where i can find another silkie (as i feel like it is a hard time of year to find one) or give me ideas on something that might soothe her while i work on finding her a companion.

I really appreciate anyone who has taken the time to read my post, thread, or whatever this might be that i have typed up. We are heartbroken over here and appreciate any and all help that we might receive.

Thank you so much,

Mollie and Loretta

I'm sorry to hear about your lonely chicken. My Bantum hen did had this happen too, but if she isn't in the coop she will lose the relationship that she had with the other chickens. Just like people when they lose a loved one, she will get over it in time. I would put her back with the other chickens and if you want can go out and spend time with her if you want. Even bring some treats out for her. What she is feeling is natural and you need to let her get through it. My chickens still love my presence... They run to me when they hear me... I'm so sorry for your loss and hope that you and your little friend can get through this. It just takes time :) if you think she is stressed out you can hang lavender in the coop if you think it is needed.

I am so very sorry to hear of your losses - I am sure that somebody on BYC can point you in the right direction to finding another female Silkie of similar age or even a young Silkie for companionship. I t is bad enough losing one to a predator without the added sadness of the one remaining Silkie being alone without here friends.

I am not in the USA but I have read about "Craigslist" which supplies fowl - it may be a good idea to contact them or look in your local telephone directory for a breeder of Silkie's.

Thinking of you and Loretta!

Suzie
hugs.gif

Thank you for your lovely message and i agree it will take time. I was hesitant to put her back in the coop, as i do not have any other chickens at this time. We had 3 and now only have 1. I have the coop outside that they shared together, however, during bad weather or extremely hot weather, i brought them into the house and put them in the crib so that they were safe. She shared both the coop and the crib with the other chickens. I was hoping having her in the crib (inside) would ease some of the loneliness of being alone outside... especially with it getting so cold here and all. Ohhhhh who knows, all i know is i feel for her and am doing the best i can to be there for her and i thank you for taking the time to write your note- it was very thoughtful of you and means a lot, to me!!
Sincerely, Mollie

Suzie- your note made me smile and thank you so much for taking the time to write it. So nice to meet people that care about chickens and so much fun that you are from another country giving Loretta support and sweet thoughts- so cool and very much appreciated! Thank you for thinking of us !!! Sincerely, Mollie

I don't know if it will work or not, but I remember from having a parakeet, we got a mirror to keep her company. Perhaps it would help for a while.

Mollie,

You are sad for her. Sorry for your loss. She will be OK before you are. She is a chicken. I never advise people to keep a chicken in the house but for you and a Silkie it just makes sence. Make your coop safer so you don't worry. Get a friend for her after you have it safe. Than think about getting a friend. Make sure you keep her safe by remembering to isolate the new bird first before introduction. You don't want to make her sick. Choose the right friend for her at the right time. Don't rush. She will be fine. Her breed is bred for pet and they have trouble seeing. They attract predators and a dog that loves Silkies is a good idea. You might consider a savoy breed for one of her companions if you intend on free range.

Delisha your concern and advice means a lot. Thank you for recommending i not just rush into getting her a new friend before i know my coop is predator proof and also the importance or quarenteening a new bird to make sure she doesn't catch anything. This whole process sounds difficult (finding her a friend). How will i know if i am buying a bird that is sick. Ugggh i am so overwhelmed in so many ways. I guess i just need to go to bed so that i can think clearly and make sure i approach this in the right frame of mind. Now i am just talking out loud, but i want to thank you so much for your thoughts and for helping us (loretta and myself) out.

Sincerely yours,
Mollie

Delisha your concern and advice means a lot. Thank you for recommending i not just rush into getting her a new friend before i know my coop is predator proof and also the importance or quarenteening a new bird to make sure she doesn't catch anything. This whole process sounds difficult (finding her a friend). How will i know if i am buying a bird that is sick. Ugggh i am so overwhelmed in so many ways. I guess i just need to go to bed so that i can think clearly and make sure i approach this in the right frame of mind. Now i am just talking out loud, but i want to thank you so much for your thoughts and for helping us (loretta and myself) out.

Sincerely yours,
Mollie

Mollie,
You love you bird, you will find her a safe breeder for the perfect friend. There are tons of them right here. Do some talking to other Silkie breeders. Take your time. Your bird is safe in the crib. Take her out daily for at least an hour to forage under your watchful eye.

She is definitely out of the crib alot- Mabel, my chiuahuah, is doing the best to be supportive! :)

Back
Top Bottom