Lonely Silkie?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Babsadon, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Babsadon

Babsadon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Glendale, California
    I have a flock of 6 large chickens plus a Polish rooster. When the rooster was young, the 6 chickens would pick on him, so I kept him separated from the others and got him a Silkie girlfriend. When the rooster grew older he asserted himself and the flock of six accepted him. However, they picked on the little Silkie, so I kept her separated from them in her own little house. When I let all the chickens free range, they leave the Silkie alone, but I would not trust them to leave her alone in their aviary. So, here's my question. The Silkie spends all of her time sitting on her nest, even when I take her eggs away. When I put her outside, she will play in the dirt for a while, pick some weeds, and then go back inside her house to sit on her nest. That seems like a lonely existence. Should I get her some chicks to raise so she can have her own flock? (I can't let her hatch her own eggs, because I don't want to risk having a second rooster. I'm not supposed to have even one rooster in Glendale, CA.) Would two separate flocks start a chicken war while free-ranging in the back yard? Thanks for your advice.

Barbara

2. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    here is how to do it
    let herhave a nest of eggs for at least a week or so
    then at night besure you rub your jands all over the hens body and put her back in the nest
    now get the chicks out one at a time and rub them on her back for smell of hen
    and as you put chicks under her
    take an egg out each time
    thus ending up with all chicks
    now let her alone this nite
    and early at probably 6 am go out to chicken house where she is locked up with chicks from the nite before.
    Bring them a tasty treat of two slices of bread soaked and torn up in milk
    then put it on a flat plate so they can eat it

she will cluck for them to come and eat
    also had waterer there for them
    and small feeder with chick starter in it
    the chicks should be about 3 days old or younger
    try and see when the supply store is getting their shipment of birds
    as you say she is setting so get them asap
    and do it as I tell you to do
    should be great as she is a good mother hen

by the chicks having her smell she will accept them

3. Babsadon

Babsadon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Glendale, California
    Thanks for your reply. Does anyone have any experience with free-ranging two flocks which have been housed in separate coops? (I have a large backyard.) Will they typically leave each other alone or will there be a fight?

Barbara

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by