Lonely Silky Bantam just lost her sister- What can we do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lizandoli, Mar 23, 2009.

1. lizandoli

lizandoli New Egg

Mar 22, 2009
    Hi All,

Only joined BYC yesterday, and am a first time chook owner (we adopted our girls 3 weeks ago).

We had a sad day today as we had to euthanize our little silky bantam Rita as she had a brain tumor and could no longer eat. Her sister Gertrude is left behind, all alone, and we are worried about her.

I have read the post on 'chickens pining when they lose their companion' and was hoping for some advice.

We want to get our remaining silky a friend or two.

What should we introduce (we would prefer to get a hardier breed like Rode Island Reds next time):

She is about 3 years old

- Are we better off getting chicks or adults to introduce to her?
    - Could we introduce a different breed to her successfully if she is older and bigger than the chicks we introduce?
    - Would another type of bantam (not a silky) be preferable?
    - Is it best for her if we get another silky for her?

I know I am terribly ignorant but that is why I have joined- I need to learn fast for the sake of our beautiful feathered friend.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Liz

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  2. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    I am very sorry to hear you have lost a chick [​IMG]

- Are we better off getting chicks or adults to introduce to her? a similar age group should be fine
    - Could we introduce a different breed to her successfully if she is older and bigger than the chicks we introduce? she'll get along with any breed of any size as long as they are of a similar age.
    - Would another type of bantam (not a silky) be preferable? any other breed would work really..
    - Is it best for her if we get another silky for her? it might be nice, but i don't think it matters to her.

[​IMG]

3. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    I would get some replacements. They like to flock together

4. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    yes and you can pretty much get any breed you want.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by