Lonely Teenager

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by shasjorne, Jul 27, 2011.

1. shasjorne

shasjorne New Egg

Jul 27, 2011
    Hi Guys. I have an 11 week old domestic red hen (bought from the local produce store) who has just lost its little 11 weeks old silkie friend (died from impacted/sour crop before the vet appointment). Red chook keeps looking for her little friend and fretting (we all are).

What can i do? Will she adopt another smaller chick? Will she befriend an older pullet? Will she get used to being by herself? We were just getting to the point of starting to sleep them outside (rather that in the loungeroom), so if we got a little chick, would they be ok to both be outside? Help please..

2. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    It's usually not a good idea to put chickens of that age difference together. You may find that your sweet hen gets a little mean if you give her a young friend like that. Chances are your hen will look on her new "friend" as an intruder at first. But, you never know. Is there any way you can get a hen around the same age? Like 9- 14 weeks? She should definitely have some company though [​IMG] Whatever you decide to try, get them used to each other gradually, make sure they can see each other, but not touch. Especially if you go with a younger chick, a few days of this will make the actual introduction a little easier. Good luck, and I'm so sorry for your loss [​IMG]

3. laughing man

laughing man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    westfield mass
    introduce someone of her age group. they might fight some in the begening but, in time they'il be buddys

4. Mama_hen

Mama_hen Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Anything is worth a shot. I feel they get lonely if no one is around. I have seen that one of my girls was inside the coop, thought she was alone and had a fit until she went outside, then she ran to the others and calmed down. Once you are able to get another one, just keep her close and talk to her, she'll react in a positive way, plus she'll keep you company and follow you like a puppy. If you are able to get another see if she will take a liking to her new friend, maybe something in the same breed and color, that may be your beat bet. I hope that you will find her a new friend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by