Lonely! What's a hen to do? — SE/PA

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NortonKittyOllie, Sep 12, 2009.

1. NortonKittyOllie

NortonKittyOllie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2009
    Philadelphia
    HI all,

I'm new to this whole BYC thing and raised my first set of chicks (6) this past summer. Since the babies were given to me by a co-worker, neither of us could sex the chicks, so I've had to wait until they either crowed or laid an egg. My luck, 5 of the 6 ended up crowing their heads off 3 weekends ago (they were sooooo proud of themselves). So for right now they are on a "foster farm" until I can find them "forever homes". (Anyone interested???)

In the meantime, I have one very lonely and depressed hen. I spend as much time with her as a can (but I work 9-5). And I will be getting new FEMALE day-old chicks soon. (don't worry, they will not be put together until they are big enough... however I might try short supervised introductions when they are a couple weeks old).

My question — if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it... but am I wrong to think that "Little" is depressed and lonely??? Any other suggestions on how to help her out?

Oh, and... no egg from my 21-week-old Ameracaunca hen yet. Should I be worried? Could her "depression" be to blame?

2. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    they lay really late.. wonder if she saw the little chicks if she would take to them.. like motherly? you might put them next to each other in diff. cages and see how it goes..if she gets aggresive then move her away.. but if they can't get to each other they should be fine and it would be company for her

3. NortonKittyOllie

NortonKittyOllie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Thanks! That's an idea!

4. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Since chickens are a flock animal she is probably missing the boys - although I wouldn't bring them back! I would put the chicks in a cage near her for company when they get a few weeks old. I have a dozen week old chicks in a large cage in my chicken run with a heat lamp hanging over them. Just make sure the chicks are safe & warm.

I don't know about the egg laying issue. I think that breed is a late bloomer, but I don't know what age they start laying.

5. nh Sue

nh Sue Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2008
    So. New Hampshire
    HI , I have the same situation...I got 4 chicks in April and at first 2 were obviously males and I found a home and the my late bloomer"Shane "crowed and after a month I found a home for him and so as of today "Martha" is out there "talking" and sad..I have 3-1 month old sexed females in the garage in a brooder. Until they are big enough I guess I will let them get used to each other during the out door time I give them in the afternoons. My older girl is an EE also and was born in April and no eggs yet and I wonder if the sadness at losing her "guy" will affect egg laying for a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by