Lonely without a flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cpie00, Nov 10, 2015.

1. cpie00

cpie00 New Egg

Nov 10, 2015
    Hi, I have moved into a residential block of flats with nice grounds, lawns etc and there is a resident chicken an Isa Brown living there completely free range. She has apparently been there around 6 months, very tame, can be picked up and if I leave the door open for a minute, she's straight in there, generally noisily looking for food but settled in for a nap and some preening under the kitchen table one day. Myself and another resident feed and water her, and I think at night she nests under a bush, not laying eggs as far as I can tell. But, I wonder if she is lonely, she has no doubt escaped, maybe from a good home because she is not scared of people and is so tame. I know they usually like to be in a flock, and I have somewhere I can take her where she would be free to roam lovely grounds all day but will be with her own kind and safely locked up at night. I wonder if she came in for a rest the other day because she misses company.

How do I know what is the right thing to do for her or if she is quite happy where she is? What if the other birds pick on her? I've become very fond of her as she's such a character. She seems to be in quite good condition, a pinkish-red comb, no weeping around the eyes or nose, quite a nice sheen on her feathers although she does have a mucky vent. Any ideas for what I should do? Thank you

2. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    Yes, take the sweet girl to her forever home right away if the caregivers agree. She'll be eaten for sure at some point sleeping on the ground.

3. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    Chickens are basically creatures who thrives with flock, not sure if she will survive alone for a long time.

4. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    If the people you know can't take her, please post your general location. I am certain someone on BYC would love to have her today and I will take her if you're near me.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  5. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    We lost a new Rhode Island Red layer pullet last August when she got out accidentally, found an egg 100 ft from the run/coop. Never seen her since. Still wondering about her everyday, she was very friendly.

6. cpie00

cpie00 New Egg

Nov 10, 2015
    Thanks everyone for your input. I think I do realise she needs to be with a flock, and if it was just me I'd give her a go with the other chickens this weekend but there is one other person to consider, he looks after her quite a lot so I'll talk to him this weekend. I hope he can see reason. Cheers

7. cpie00

cpie00 New Egg

Nov 10, 2015
    That's so kind of you but I'm in Australia!!! Ha ha I thought it was a local website then after I posted and saw how many people are on this site, I realised its too many chicken-lovers for Australia!

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Do a search here on BYC for 'Australia'......there's actually quite a few of you here.

9. cpie00

cpie00 New Egg

Nov 10, 2015
    Thanks for all your input. I found she actually has an owner who lives next door so at least she I know she is safe at night. It doesn't help that I think she's lonely but being she's not my chicken, there's nothing I can do about it. I think she might have liked to be with a brood.

10. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    Her mucky vent needs attention.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by