Lonely young rooster was left behind :(

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MissouriScratchers, Mar 24, 2013.

1. MissouriScratchers

MissouriScratchers New Egg

May 12, 2010
    Once again I fell going down the path to feed the flock, this time on the ice. Sprained my bad ankle, twisted my wrist too. Since we live way out in the middle of nowhere in the forest you could lay out there and yell for hours and no one would hear you. Sadly I finally had to agree with the family that maybe this old doll should keep her butt in the house on ugly days. That means the flock had to go. They were always my responsibility as my husband and son don't have time to care for them. I was heart broke but my friends son always loved to come out and see my chickens so I gave him the flock, coop and all. The only problem is when we gathered them up somehow we missed one young rooster. He must have been hiding somewhere. I asked if they wanted to come back and get him but since they had 3 roos already, he was out of luck. I feel terrible! Now that the coop is gone he sleeps in the cedar tree in the driveway. We even left several shed doors and even the garage door open so he could get out of the weather but he prefers the tree. He has taken to running to the porch when I let the dogs out, I guess for companionship. Yesterday he spent at least 20 minutes looking at himself in the chrome bumper of my truck. SO SAD! We never have butchered any and won't start now. He crows at the oddest times like the middle of the night. I have to admit I am growing quite fond of poor "Romeo" My question is will he be OK living a life of a single roo or is it cruel to have one lone rooster?

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I kept a gamerooster by himself for about three years but he roosted on front porch. At end of that time I got him a pullet so social life could get underway. Isolated birds do OK but they are also inclined to roam if they can hear a flock in the distance.

3. MissouriScratchers

MissouriScratchers New Egg

May 12, 2010
    I appreciate the reply! Sometimes I can hear a rooster off in the distance, I fear if he tries to get there thru the woods something might get him. I just feel so bad for him, even his crow sounds sad.

4. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Oh, how sad. I think he's probably very lonely and would love a flock of his own. Could you try to post him on Craigslist and find him a family?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by