Loner chick and eye-pecking... help, help!

Teepov

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 21, 2012
Austin, TX
I've just mixed two 18 day old chicks (1 langshan and 1 salmon faverolle) in with a group of younger chicks, ages ranging from 4-12 days old (2 brahma, 1 australorp, 1 welsummer, 2 ameraucana, 1 barred rock, 1 maran). The 4-12 day olds have been getting along well, possibly because the size difference in them is minute.
The older chicks were introduced this morning. They are about twice as big as the smallest chicks. Faverolle seems to be getting along with everyone; there was a bit of nipping and feather tugging on both sides, but nothing major. She is now comfortably sleeping in the middle of a pile of furballs :)

To the point though: my blue langshan doesn't seem to want to join the group. From the get-go she has stood apart and interacted little with the other chicks. Right now she's standing in one corner of the brooder by herself. A few hours ago, I saw her pecking at the aussie's eye quite hard. (As an FYI, out of all the younger chicks, the australorp is definitely one of the most dominant. Ex: she made a point of showing faverolle who was boss when F got introduced by incessantly pulling on F's leg feathers for a few hours.) I decided to separate blue lang from the rest, afraid that she'd peck out the aussie's eye.
As a result, she has been very unhappy; trying to fly over the partition every so often and cheeping horribly. I just put her back in with the others (she was seperated for at least 2 hours) and I haven't observed anymore eye-pecking... some feather tugging, yes, (not actual feather pulling out though) when one of the younger ones comes over and annoys her, but that's it. I don't know if this something just between the aussie and blue, or if blue is a straight up jerk. Maybe she is a he? But at 18 days old, should that really make a difference? Like I said, she's still in the corner by herself, facing a wall and not moving or interacting with the others... I really don't know what to think about that.

Hello

We have had chickens for a few years now.

In our experience we have learnt that unfortunately there isnt very much you can do with chickens pecking eachother or not interacting.

We introduced 3 chicks to our grown up flock and that was quite difficult to watch as the bigger chickens picked on the little ones, but the only reason they were picking on them was so they knew their place, so they could establish 'The Pecking Order'.

Its hard to deal with one chicken being lonely, but a chicken will do what a chicken wants to do, some of them want to interact with eachother, some dont.

Bear in mind, Once they get used to eachother they will be like a happy family.

Once our chicks and chickens got used to eachother they occasionally slept together on the same perch and other times slept in little groups.

But this takes time and for the chickens to get to know one another.

I hope this helps if even a little bit.

yippiechickie.gif

Yes, it definitely has. I think I have hypochondriac mother syndrome when it comes to these chicks :) I worry about every little thing!

Thanks for your reply
smile.png

Hi,

Hows the chicks getting on today?

Sad day for me, one of my chicks died, but I dont know why :-( found her belly down laying flat! Im gutted :-o poor rocky!!

Keep me posted on your chicken family :)

Lucy

They seem to be getting on somewhat better. I have noticed that the langshan still Ete-pecks however it is not as hard and she seems to be integrating as well as calming down more. So I'm not as worried. Thanks again for the help

Back
Top Bottom