Loner Chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickaroo!, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    Okay, so I bought 6 chicks from TSC on Fri. This evening I noticed that every time I go to check on them, if they are sleeping, one is always on the complete other side of the brooder all alone.

Should I be worried?

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    One of my chickens prefers to be alone. I used to worry that she was at the bottom of the pecking order and staying away to avoid being picked on, so I watched. When she CHOOSES to be around everyone else she is top hen. No one messes with her. [​IMG] I guess some chickens, like some people, are just loners.

3. S0rcy

S0rcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Occasionally I wish peep, my 3wk BO chick was a loner. She just loves to terrify the others by leaping from the perch onto her sisters .. sheesh.

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:LOL.....oh yes, I have those type too!!! They also like to walk on their sisters while they sleep!!!

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:Yup...one my girls just walks over the others...literally. hahahahaha

6. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    Thanks. It's hard not to worry when your a total newbie at raising chicks!!

7. RoseMarie1

RoseMarie1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2013
    Hattiesburg,Ms.
    My Coop
    I have one doing this now and was doing a search to see WHAT is going on with it. Not quite 3 months old yet but all of a sudden it's wanting to hang out by itself and even this morning when I let them all out to free range it decided to stay inside the run. :( I hadn't fed them this morning so was going to let them free range and feed them later in the afternoon. So when I went out there to feed them this evening it didn't come and eat either with the others. I got it and was checking it out and had just thrown a few boss into the pine straw and leaves and it did eat some of those. I picked it up and took it to eat some of their food and it did eat 3-4 bites before it walked off. Am a little worried about this one because there wasn't much in it's crop.

8. Brandi Leigh

Brandi Leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Every chicken has its own personality.

9. RoseMarie1

RoseMarie1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2013
    Hattiesburg,Ms.
    My Coop
    Well today she was BACK with the group BUT tonight she was on the floor of the pen not sitting on the roost with the others. She/he really has me puzzled. I picked it up and put it ON the roost. I'm thinking WHY it was on the floor is because I made the poop hammock ( have a bad back and it's easier on me scooping out the poop) anyway they were wanting to roost on the pvc pipe I put inside the end of the poop hammock and I didn't want them doing that so I lowered it. Well that put more on the roost and he/she must not have wanted to be on the last two rows of the roost. Rethinking my roost now.

10. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    Our Wellsummer has always been a loner, she is the "low" chicken in the flock and I always felt bad for her. We got a batch of chicks this spring and I was hoping that she would make a friend but she chases and pecks them if they come close to her so I guess she actually likes to be off by herself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by