Loner Chicken.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by obsessedwchicks, Feb 12, 2013.

1. obsessedwchicks

obsessedwchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2013
    In a flock of 30-35 hens, I have one white hen that is a loner. She is never mixing in with the other hens, and just is always going to the beat of her own drum. I just worry about her, I just don't know what is wrong. Any body have anything?

2. have any pictures? She may be bullied, bottom of the pecking order.

3. obsessedwchicks

Feb 12, 2013
    When we got her she did go in there fighting like she owned the place, but I would have figured that she would mix in well with the others by now, it's been two months. But I need to look into this pecking order….That JUST may it!

4. skyblu

skyblu Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2013
    Devon, UK
    I'm convinced some are just loners - I have one I hatched and from the first few weeks she would go off on her own. Her 'hatchmates' would all stick close to mum but she just wasn't bothered about being near any other chickens. She then started letting herself out of the run and leaving mum and the others behind! Now she's all grown up and in with the rest of the flock she still chooses to be on her own a lot. She's not picked on or bullied, they accept her just fine when she wants to be around them - but she's most definitely a 'chook alone'

5. obsessedwchicks

Feb 12, 2013
    I'm thinking she's just at the bottom of the pecking order and probably because she came in acting like the dominant one when the dominant one was already chosen.

6. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    I agree with skyblu, Chickens like people have a range of personalities. Some have to be with another all the time and some just don't care if there are any others around. If she isn't being picked on why stress yourself about it? Let her march to the beat of her own drum.

7. obsessedwchicks

Feb 12, 2013
    I'm starting to not worry, I just have seen her not eat as much and when I put the grass out as a treat or feed them I try to put some where she is. Just wish I had some type of idea to where I knew she was getting the right amount of food, cause I'm not 100 percent sure she is getting what she needs to fully develop and lay eggs. But who knows? She looks healthy!

8. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    I agree with Den in Penn and skyblu. I have a White Plymouth Rock that likes to keep to herself. She is second in command behind my Silver Laced Wyandotte and takes nothing off of anyone, but she likes to forage by herself and does not like to share her treasures.

9. obsessedwchicks

Feb 12, 2013
    Thanks! I'm just gonna leave it like it is. She's just born a loner. Guess I'll have to deal ha!

10. Owingsia

Owingsia Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Saluda VA
    We have an Amaricana that is a bit of a loner. She will come and go from the flock as she pleases. She is not a be with the flock kind of bird and some days she is 100s of feet away from them just having a grand old time. She is our least social bird and dose not like being held at all. Most of our girls love people and at the least will put up with being held. Not Athena, pick her up and she makes the oddest sounds and squirms until you put her down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by