Loner developing slow?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gapeach717, Mar 12, 2012.

1. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    My little silvery baby is the only one in the group lacking any "real" feathers coming in at a week old tomorrow. This one also tends to stay to itself more and not hang with the group as much, at first it was a little brat and messed with all the others feet and stuff but now not so much. She eats just fine and drinks and loves to snuggle and sleep in my hands, but just doesn't seem like part of the group, and it's weird that it hasn't sprouted any big girl feathers yet. Is it normal for some to develope a lot slower?

2. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I had one like this. She was always following the rest of the chicks at a distance - or not at all. She seemed to be doing to opposite to what the others were doing. When they were sleeping - she would be walking around. When they were eating - she would be preening etc.

I eventually figured out she was partially blind. She was not getting as much food as the others and would always be to slow for treats - she can not see mealworms or small things at all. I noticed when she went for a drink or food she had to make several attempts before he beak touched what she wanted - she would even dunk her whole head under the water!

She is nearly 2 years old now and my fav hen. She is still super tame and loves to sleep on my lap. She gets enough to eat now - I leave the large red food bowl in the same location so she can remember where it is. She always follows the largest rooster about - with her head in his tail feathers - he is like her guide. Or she will do the same with my dog to me. I have to be careful not to step back onto her.

She took lot longer to get her feathers and she has remained smaller than the other hens - but she is perfectly healthy.

Maybe its something similar with your chick, or perhaps she is just a slow developer!

3. gapeach717

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    Thank you! She seems to get around just fine, and likes to roost on the food dish. She just seems to keep to herself. And her lack of big girl feathers coming in worries me. First time chickie mom, lol, can you tell?

4. jak2002003

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Here is her picture - as you can see her eyes look normal - but I noticed she can never focus on anything
    [​IMG]

5. gapeach717

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    Oh my gosh she is so cute!!!!!!

6. jak2002003

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I don't think you need to worry too much. Mine got her feathers much later than the others and took ages to mature. I did a lot of research on the internet about it before I know the problem.

Some chicks get 'failure to thrive' and others just seem to stay babies for ever! Sometimes they have problems with growth hormones or are genetically different. Search on the forums - they have some interesting posts and pictures. Usually they eventually catch up to the rest. Mine got her wing feathers only first. She was nearly full grown and still covered in yellow fluff!!! I though she would stay like that forever - but gradually the adult feathers came though months later than normal.

If she seem healthy, good weigh, pooping and eating normally, than I don't think you need worry at all. Makes her more special! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. gapeach717

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    thank you for your help. I am such a worry wart mommy! I am glad I have you guys to help me though this first time experience!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by