Ducklover99

Hatching
Jun 1, 2019
Hey all! So my boss was trying to get rid of her ducks ( she just didn’t have the time for them) so I took them to my neighbors because they have a pond and I figured they’d thrive there..... well turns out there was an alligator in said pond.... I was able to rescue one of them and take it home. I now have a duck I have no idea what to do with... my dad doesn’t want me to keep it so I’m trying to find someone to give it to but in the mean time I want her to be happy. We have 6 chickens and 8 chicks so I’ve been feeding her chicken feed ( I know big no no). I’m going to the store later so really would like to know what I need to get. Also I gave her a big container of water to drink out of and she’s been sticking her whole head in under the water to reach the bottom. Should I be worried about her drowning herself?

Attachments

• E034C61B-3BB7-4BA6-BBCC-316382B8C740.jpeg
    E034C61B-3BB7-4BA6-BBCC-316382B8C740.jpeg
    741.8 KB · Views: 11
Sad the others didn’t make it. But nice of you to rescue this one. Sticking their heads into the water bucket is natural behavior they need to clean their faces frequently. And I see mine often sticking their heads all the way to the bottom of the bucket. Chicken feed is fine to feed to ducks as long as they are adults ducklings need more niacin than chicken feed has in it . But since your going to find her a new home just feed her what you feed your chickens that’s what mine eat I have a mixed flock and even if I could find water fowl feed I couldn’t use it. I just give my duckling Nutritional yeast over top of their chick feed. Maybe your dad would let you keep her if he tasted how good a duck egg is.

Sad the others didn’t make it. But nice of you to rescue this one. Sticking their heads into the water bucket is natural behavior they need to clean their faces frequently. And I see mine often sticking their heads all the way to the bottom of the bucket. Chicken feed is fine to feed to ducks as long as they are adults ducklings need more niacin than chicken feed has in it . But since your going to find her a new home just feed her what you feed your chickens that’s what mine eat I have a mixed flock and even if I could find water fowl feed I couldn’t use it. I just give my duckling Nutritional yeast over top of their chick feed. Maybe your dad would let you keep her if he tasted how good a duck egg is.
Lol I really hope so! I sent him a screenshot of someone’s comment on here about them tasting better

Back
Top Bottom