Loner or lonely?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by motochick, Nov 25, 2011.

1. motochick

motochick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    I have 5 assorted bantam cohins and 2 leghorns (all 8 weeks old), but the black frizzle is the slowest of all to mature. This "ugly duckling" is, of course, also at bottom of the pecking order. Two days ago, I rearranged the brooder coop, so now they can "go up stairs" at night. 6 of them have figured it out, but poor little Mystery has been staying in the bottom section to sleep. I've got then in my garage, so I've peeked at them at night to see how it's going. During the day, Mystery is a bit of a loner and the shyest of all the birds, but maybe it's cuz she's at bottom of the pecking order.

Is Mystery lonely and not bold enough to go upstairs at night, or just doesn't want to risk getting pecked at to join in the warmth up there?

I would have thought as slowest feather, she of all of them would want the warmer spot. Should I try to find her a new home??

[​IMG]

2. motochick

motochick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    Here's the scene this morning - leghorns coming out to say good morning and the black frizzle below where she spent the night.

[​IMG]

Chicks get a play space too during the day, but note who's still in the very back. Mystery does come out and play and snack, but usually is the first to run away from me and is cautious about the others. She hangs out with the sweetest buff cochin sometimes, Buffy is mellow and friendly.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by