Loner pekin drake seems OK

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chooniecat, Jun 17, 2011.

1. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    Had to euth. my pekin girl duck couple of days ago and drake seemed extremely upset but I now realize they get over that quick. He is housed with 4 7 wk. old chicks and he is bathing/eating/talking(drake talk!!!) normally. At first I felt I should get a female duck to appease him but realize he is functioning OK. He is almost 9 years old tho.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Poor fellow- it must have been hard for him to loose his mate. In your situation- if you were to get him another duck friend- they would be alone when his time comes. 9 years is a great life for ducks.

Getting him two friends may be the way to go....[​IMG]

3. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    The thing IS I can NOT find 2 female ducks in a decent drive from central Ohio or I WOULD purchase them.Any breed(domestic) would do, of course, but finding available females is HARD!!!! I will probably just let his time pass and NOT get anymore ducks cause money is an issue. He is outside this moment pecking around in the yard so guess he will be OK. Poor Hoosier Head.[​IMG]

4. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:What is a decent drive? I know of a lady selling Pekin ducklings and some adult Welsh Harlequins...I believe. She is located near 44632

5. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    well-given as I am technically poor I guess I am a sucker for my fowl-ANYWHERE in Ohio is ok with me. My mom pays for the gas as she loves road trips! I am not familiar with ANY duck other than Pekins and are Welsh H. as big as Pekin or close?????? wouldn't want his old fart self to harm a female.

6. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:They are smaller than Pekins. I will PM you with the ladies phone number and she will be able to tell you ALL that she has available and the prices. I will be getting ducklings and a gosling or 2 from her in the next few weeks.

7. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    Just got on CL and found 2 Welsh hens in suffield Oh. and it looks to be in the same area. curious? so if your source doesn't have any MAYBE this ad will still have these 2 hens.thanks!!!!!!

8. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:It is the same lady...lol

9. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    Doesn't take much to excite me!!!!! I just emailed the person on CL but I will call now!!!!thank you so much for info!!!! Now I will fall in love with welsh harl.!!!!!

10. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:And you will fall in love with them! Gorgeous ducks, IMO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by