Loner Pullet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by audrey02026, Jun 18, 2011.

1. audrey02026

audrey02026 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    Ok so I have been noticing for awhile now that my golden come t seems to lay down in the grass near my others but is always last to follow everyone else and sometimes just doesn't bother. Now last night when I shut the coop door for the night I saw the chickens in the coop...didn't count them (i usually do). So my neighbor texts my husband to tell us one of my chickens is out of the coop flying around the yard...well we didn't get the text until the next morning. Looked everywhere for her in the morning but could not find her. She did end up coming back hours after we let the others out to play. Tonight she wouldn't go in the coop or at least didn't for a good hour after all the rest were roosting. She did end u going in not sure if it's because I was walking toward her or if she was going anyway. Why do you think she is not hanging out with the rest....She's never too far away from them and Ive never seen anyone pick on her?

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Has she always been this way? Are you sure she isn't ill?

3. audrey02026

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    No she has always been this way and is about 14 weeks old now. She looks great and eats and drinks well. She isn't always laying down she forages with the others but she defiantly lays away from them often.

4. audrey02026

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    I have noticed the other day that when she runs she kind of limps or hops...she walks just fine and she looks ok but I cant help but wonder if something did get to her on her night out of the coop..or if maybe she just hurt herself being scared

5. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a bit of a loner too, but she was added latter, I call her my special needs girl, as I always have to make sure she is in the coop or back in the run. [​IMG]

6. Fritatta

Fritatta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    Quote:when one of mine got injured, she avoided the others and was MUCH more approachable. she knew she needed my help. Can you get hold of her and look at that leg? IF it is deformed or broken you may want to cull her. rather than let it go on..
    Or, you may see something obvious that you can fix. With her living on the fringes, and limping, she makes a very tasty target.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by