Loner Silkie chick - why?

KellyHM

Crowing
11 Years
Sep 10, 2008
Lakeland, FL
I have a little white Silkie chick who is about 8 wks old and is a complete loner and I'm wondering if there's a reason. There are 3 other chicks that she was hatched with and grew up with. The 3 of them all hang out together and cuddle with the Silkie at night, but during the day the Silkie just wanders away from them and does her own thing. She even got "lost" one night and I had to go find her in the dark b/c she was bedded down by the truck instead of in the coop. She does come running to me whenever she sees me, like the other 3 do, but she just doesn't hang out with the other chickens. They don't pick on her or anything like that. Any ideas? Please!

Edited b/c I can't spell this late at night.

Last edited:
Kelly, you should try checking her vision like I described in my thread on Lil'Bit. Lil'Bit can see just fine out of one eye, so she does come running when she sees me from a distance. However, she tends to get lost from the flock because she'll be concentrating so hard when foraging to actually grab something that she just doesn't notice when they wander off.
She gets along fine with the few accomadations that I mentioned.
I also have a "loner", Lilith. There's nothing wrong with Lilith's vision. Lilith rarely wanders with the flock, preferring to stay closer to the coop. Sometimes if Lil'Bit gets seperated from the flock she'll head back to the coop area and hangs out with Lilith until the flock returns.

If she is the only silkie, that's probably why. Silkies really like their own kind & prefer not to mix with "lesser" breeds
roll.png

My white silkie is the same way. She seperates herself from the others often. I have to check to see if she made it back to the coop or not at night. I'll find her sitting in the middle of the yard sometimes after sundown and I have to carry her back.

When they are foraging I'll find her in the driveway alone, while the others are under the deck.

She seems fine, and I just let it be! She seems happy, and the others are occasionally around her... enough for me to know she's on top of the pecking order. I blame it on the huge crest she has. She probably can only see 5 ft in front of her at a time!

I have other Silkies, but she doesn't associate with them either. I started leaving her in the smaller pen with the 5-wk-olds (about a month younger, but the same size b/c they're LF) and she seems to prefer that. She hangs out with them and sleeps piled up with them at night. Maybe she just feels safer in a fence.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom