Lonesome no more...

Aneesa's Muse

Songster
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
SF Bay Area
A few weeks ago, my two BOY piggies had a litter of four little piggies
roll.png
and yesterday, the one little boy baby reached the age of "being dangerous" LOL ..so he parted ways with his 3 sisters and Mommy
wink.png

Well.. L'il Ty wasn't really thrilled about the lack of ninny on the ready ..or being alone, period.... so I introduced him to his Daddy today.

IM001941.jpg

IM001942.jpg

Giorgi has been pretty lonesome since I removed J.R. from the big cage ...the day she went into labor.. so now both boys have a buddy and no more lonesome piggies
smile.png

Awww! How cute! I was thinking about getting piggies for my dd's, but they want hamsters again. Hamsters were not very active pets so I'm not sure if piggies would be different or not?

Guinea Pigs are much better than Hamsters, IMO ..hands down... but I think GPs are also more of an adult pet, surprisingly.

They are active ...and they love attention from us.. but they have special needs that need to be addressed on a daily basis, and they can certainly suffer without them being met.

If you can get passed the tail on Rats ...some people are overly adverse to it... Rats make awesome pets for any age!
smile.png

Guinea Pig Cages is a great place to start researching..

I didn't see the pictures at first and thought you were talking about farm pigs, not guinea pigs!

They are cuties... hope he and his daddy do well together.

Aneesa's Muse :

Guinea Pigs are much better than Hamsters, IMO ..hands down... but I think GPs are also more of an adult pet, surprisingly.

They are active ...and they love attention from us.. but they have special needs that need to be addressed on a daily basis, and they can certainly suffer without them being met.

If you can get passed the tail on Rats ...some people are overly adverse to it... Rats make awesome pets for any age!
smile.png

Guinea Pig Cages is a great place to start researching..

Oh, any pet that we get, I know *I* will be caring for.
wink.png
No doubt.

I actually love hairless rats, but hubby and the kids are not as keen on them.
wink.png

Thanks..
smile.png

We raised oinky pigs on our farm when I was growing up ..but I think my DH draws the line at chickens, as far as, "farm" animals go LOL

It's funny that you should mention hairless rats ...I lost my precious Aleris a few weeks ago..

IM000677Small.jpg

He was the sweetest, most devoted boy I've ever had ...besides his Dad, my Poodah Man (he passed this past Sunday, as well).

I'm adopting two nekkid "babies" this weekend, actually. A little "legally" blind girly ..and a young little boy with dumbo ears. I can hardly wait.. and after their 3 week quarantine at a friend's place, they will come home right on my birthday ..so it's perfect!
wink.png

I'm sorry, there is no WAY I would have a pet rat!! My son and I live with my dad atm, and have been trying to talk him into letting us get a guinea pig...no doin...
hit.gif
But they are cute!!

Your so lucky!!!! I have been thinking about getting a guinea pig (or 2). Can you tell me what its like keeping them? I wonder if they use litter pans because on the C&C page i saw pics with litter pans. I wonder how much work they are cage cleaning. Do they pee in the corners like bunnies do? Do they squeek all night? My husband would kill me. I assume they are nocturnal like the bunny. I was hoping to find guinea pig people on here to advise me. I am really excited about it, but i want to be sure of what i am doing first. Do tell
woot.gif

They can be potty trained to a box, with patience ..and they are more inclined to urinate in one place ..but poopies are very random.
hmm.png

My piggies usually don't wheek in the middle of the night ..or even late at night ...unless they hear me get up ...and especially if I open the refrigerator door
tongue.png

They need pretty large cages and they need to have floor time every single day, as well as, being let out to snuggle with their human.

Two do better than one.. cuz they're very social ...and more is better!
big_smile.png

Feed them a quality pellet that is Vit. C fortified/enriched ..like Oxbow Cavy Cuisine... and give them fresh "salads" at least once a day ..twice is preferred... and LOTS of timothy hay for the juvenile and adult pigs. Alfalfa is good for the nursing Moms and babies... extra nutrients.

The site that I linked before is a great source. The people posting on that site can come off a little harsh, but the info is great ..and worth wading through.
wink.png

Thank you
smile.png
I found a story on the forum about a petting farm in upstate NY that is closing. There are all kinds of animals from llama's, a kangaroo, goats, guinea pigs, i saw baby chicks in a cage. So i read of a rescue that is planning to work to find homes. I emailed them of my interest and willingness to offer a home to at least 2. So i will wait and watch craigslist. If this link works, i love this guinea pig
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom