'?????? long and rambling

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CoyoteMagic, Jan 4, 2008.

1. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Hey ya'll! I haven't been around in like forever. Life just gets in the way sometimes.

We had tragedy here before the holidays. 3 of my girls were attacked and killed by one of the neighbors dogs. [​IMG] One of them lost was Tessie the Headless Chicken. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] She never had a chance. We had let them free-range all day while we were at work and never had a problem until the neighbor had marital problems and just left his dogs to fend for themselves. Thankfully he gave the dogs over to animal control without any problems.

I have moved my 5 remaining girls into the smaller "playhouse" coop for extra warmth. the 8x8 coop was just toooooooo big for just the 5 of them to keep warm this winter. (no elect no water)

Finally here is my question!!

The girls were laying fine for the first few days in the new coop but now have stopped laying all together. I got my first eggs in Sept. They had layed 6-8 eggs for the 8 of them every day since then. (3-5 a day after the loss)

Have they stopped laying because of 1. the move to the new coop, 2. the change in seasons (less daytime light) or 3. both?

If it's light, should I install some kind of lighting or just let nature take it's course and let them rest for now and resume in the spring?

If it's the move to the new coop, what do I do? The other coop is just way to big for the 5 of them. They all fit snug in the "playhouse" coop. We let them run on the weekends when we are home to keep an eye on them.

HELP!!!

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Welcome back - sorry about your loss.... [​IMG]

My girls (3 bantams) only started laying right before it got cold, and I get on average 1 egg a day.
    I am not in the mind to provide extra light to mess their system into laying more - or my standards into starting (they're 21 weeks)
    I vote your girls are not laying because of less light/and cold.
    I would also just let nature take its course - unless you need more eggs......

3. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh no SO sorry to hear about your loss......and headless.OH MY [​IMG] I still remember that picture....... glad your neighbor did get rid of the dogs......
    I agree with Wildsky, I think less light and cold is the problem.......I too would just wait it out........
    :aww

4. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Welcome back....missed your posts! Sorry for your loss, that really sucks! I would just let them rest. How would you like giving birth every day? [​IMG] Mine have really slowed down, and that's ok.

5. Chickemee

Chickemee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2007
    Texas
    I'm so sorry for your loss. When the whether warms up your girls will probibly resume laying. That's what I read anyway, mine haven't started laying yet so i can't really say.

6. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Hi-

So sorry for you loss. [​IMG]

I am SO glad none of the neighbors out here have dogs. Whew!

I know when I moved my standards from their coop to a different one they slowed down to NO eggs from 13 a day - for a couple of weeks.

Slowly, and when they got used to their surrounding (they were still wanting to go back into their old coop :| ) the eggs started to come--again.

It might be a combination of the move, season and the attack? These are a lot of changes happening, ALL at once.

Chickens are weird that way...I thought it was just mine but I have read this here before. [​IMG]

Again, sorry for your loss and good luck with the critters. [​IMG]

Peace-

Pedro

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Darn, I'm so sorry for your losses...especially Tessie.
    I'm glad that neighbour got rid of the dogs, but they shouldn't have been loose in the first place.

I think it's part of the stress of loosing their buddies, the cold and lack of light that's causing the egg boycott.

8. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi there, so nice to see ya back, sooo sorry about your birds. [​IMG] We had a cold spell here & the girls are slacking off alot. Maybe just the new area you have them in plus the weather, might be what's up.
    I have some EE's that started laying in October & some of them are going thru a light molt. [​IMG]
    Hope your girls get back to work for ya soon. [​IMG]
    Please come back & hang out when ya have some time.

9. wefanjr

wefanjr Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2007
    MA
    Did you say your getting 3-5 eggs a day from 5 chickens? That's about right. You'll need to maintain the amount of light they get a day to keep them producing.

10. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    If it is the stress of the new coop or the stress of the attack, they will adjust and begin to lay again in no time. If it is the decreased light, you have the option of putting in the artificial light, but just know that it will decrease their laying life span. Hope that helps and I'm so sorry you lost some girls, it is always so heartwrenching. Suz [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by