1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Long developed tail feathers in 2 week old leghorn chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by finlay225, Mar 28, 2016.

1. finlay225

finlay225 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2016
    Hi just wondering if anyone can advise me........i've got 7 brown leghorn chicks (2 weeks old today). 5 chicks have long developed tail feathers and 2 have short bearly developed ones. Just wondering if I have got 5 females, as i've read their feathers develop faster. Such a diffence though. Any advice always greatly appreciated :)

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I think you need to relax. At 2 weeks in Leghorns, it's too early to tell gender from tail feathers.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Don't panic yet! It may mean only that there is significant difference between hatch times.

However, BOLO for combs turning pinkish while others have yellowish combs. That's more of a give away than tail feathers.

But you'll need to be patient for another couple weeks.

4. finlay225

Feb 24, 2016
    Many thanks for reply! No not stressed at all, just curious;)

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The difference in tail feathers will likely show after the males' combs become more dominant. Then the males will have curved tails with pointy feathering.

6. finlay225

Feb 24, 2016
    Thanks, will see how they develop and i'm sure that i'll be posting some pics in the near future to help me identify the roos & pullets! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by