Long distance egg shipping

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Thepigeonguy, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Kansas City quail farms

14.3%
  2. Strombergs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Local breeder

85.7%
  1. Thepigeonguy

Thepigeonguy Songster

Feb 20, 2018
    Idaho falls, Idaho, U.S.
    So I’m wondering where the best place to get coturnix quail from. I would like to get Italians, tuxedos and maybe some Pharoahs. I would prefer eggs. I can’t find to many on site reviews for various hatcheries. Does anyone have any experience with Kansas City quail farms? They seem to be great but I want to be sure. Also how safe is shipping eggs 1000+ miles?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I bought some off ebay... twice... shipped to Alaska and they still hatched out enough for me to have breeders.

:confused:

Sorry, can't remember who I ordered from.

CapricornFarm and WVduckchick like this.
  3. Thepigeonguy

Thepigeonguy Songster

Feb 20, 2018
    Idaho falls, Idaho, U.S.
    That’s amazing to ship that far I think. So il probably be fine. Thank you for replying alaskan

CapricornFarm likes this.
  4. Thepigeonguy

Thepigeonguy Songster

Feb 20, 2018
    Idaho falls, Idaho, U.S.
    Also I have to say the emojis(is that the right word?) are a big part of why I joined.

CapricornFarm likes this.
  5. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

well then, welcome to BYC! :ya

CapricornFarm and WVduckchick like this.
  6. Thepigeonguy

Thepigeonguy Songster

Feb 20, 2018
    Idaho falls, Idaho, U.S.
    :goodpost:

WVduckchick and Alaskan like this.
  7. Plip

Plip Free Ranging

Apr 28, 2010
    NW Washington State
    I ordered from Orchard Hill Poultry in Georgia. I'm in Western Washington State, so it was even further to ship than it would be for you (although for practical purposes, it's probably the same shipping time). I found them on eBay (quailkingjosh), but I'm pretty sure they have a website, too.

They shipped quickly, packed well, included a warming packet to keep the eggs warm (for an extra $6), and marked the box well. I ordered on a Sunday afternoon and I had the eggs on Thursday morning (I picked them up at the post office).

I set 48 eggs in the incubator (its capacity), and 37 hatched. I was very happy!

Of course some of my good fortune was good handling by the post office. That's out of the egg-seller's control, and your experience may be different.

But I can highly recommend Orchard Hill Poultry.

The only thing is, I don't know if they sell any quail other than Jumbo Pharaoh and Texas A&M. (I got Jumbo Pharaoh).

sourland and Thepigeonguy like this.
  8. Thepigeonguy

Thepigeonguy Songster

Feb 20, 2018
    Idaho falls, Idaho, U.S.
    Thank you for the information. I’m glad to know eggs are fairly safe being shipped long distance, if they can avoid package football with the mailmen.

Plip likes this.
  9. Thepigeonguy

Thepigeonguy Songster

Feb 20, 2018
    Idaho falls, Idaho, U.S.
    Also, question for experienced breeders. Here is my understanding of the incubation process.
    1: humidity at 45%
    2: temperature at 100f
    3 : lockdown starts at day 14
    4: humidity is at 70%
    5: stop turning eggs
    6: wait for hatching
    Is this right? This is what I’ve picked up from various websites, including this one.
    If I do this, as a first time beginner with shipped eggs, should my hatch rate be above 50%?

Plip likes this.
  10. Plip

Plip Free Ranging

Apr 28, 2010
    NW Washington State
    That's pretty much right in line with what most people do. You should be just fine with that. Here are a few thoughts, for what they're worth...

1. I shoot for 45% and below in humidity. My experience seems to be that it's better to be a little low than a little high.

2. Since my incubator allows me to set the temperature to the 1/10 of a degree and seems to keep it there, I set it to 99.5f, which is what I first read. I've never had an issue at that temp.

3. There are two ways to understand day 14: the beginning of day 14 and after 14 days. I've always understood it to mean after 14 days (so, really, at the beginning of the 15th day). Some of what I've read has been pretty clear on this point. I've never had a problem doing it this way.

4. If you can keep the humidity at 70% during lockdown, that's great! You may not be able to get it quite that high (for a couple of different potential reasons). If you can't, just keep it as high as possible.

5. Yes, stop turning the eggs during lockdown. I have an automatic turner, and even before lockdown I have it at its lowest setting, which is every three hours. I would actually prefer that it was less than that. I think once or twice a day would be plenty.

6. Yes! Wait. Don't do anything. Don't open the incubator if you can help it!

That's my understanding of what I've read tweaked a little by my own experience.

As to hatch rate for shipped eggs. It depends so much on things outside of your control (and even outside of your awareness). I don't think you can realistically have any specific expectation when it comes to hatch rate.

I hoped to get 50% the one time I used shipped eggs. I was relieved when the first egg hatched. I was thrilled when hatchrate passed 50%. I was ecstatic to get 77%.

CapricornFarm, sourland and NotAFarm like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: