Long distance move to cold climate - keep or rehome old hens?

Bk5566

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 11, 2012
We will be moving from Northern California to a northern Virginia in February. We are looking for recommendations on whether to take our 5 hens, all about 7 years old- with us or rehome them before we leave. Logistics aside, we are most concerned about the shock to the birds of going to a more extreme environment - both in terms of weather and predation. We are balancing that against knowing that rehoming will be a huge gamble given the chickens’ age. Perspectives on what we should do?

Bonus question: if we take them with us, should we - and how should we - introduce a rooster or will that cause more problems than it solves? We will be living in a rural area and will eventually have more hens and roosters. At the moment just trying to figure out what is best for our current flock.

We will be moving from Northern California to a northern Virginia in February. We are looking for recommendations on whether to take our 5 hens, all about 7 years old- with us or rehome them before we leave. Logistics aside, we are most concerned about the shock to the birds of going to a more extreme environment - both in terms of weather and predation. We are balancing that against knowing that rehoming will be a huge gamble given the chickens’ age. Perspectives on what we should do?

Bonus question: if we take them with us, should we - and how should we - introduce a rooster or will that cause more problems than it solves? We will be living in a rural area and will eventually have more hens and roosters. At the moment just trying to figure out what is best for our current flock.
Where in NorCal are you? There are a lot of nice people who might take your girls. If you’re near Los Altos, go ask Hidden Villa’s educational farm. Put ads up at feed stores and Craigslist. If I couldn’t find a home and I was you, I’d take them with me and keep them in a warm place like a barn or basement... something completely enclosed until warmer weather prevailed! They will acclimate... they might just need extra protection during the winter due to their age and temperate climate history. Thinking about adding other hens and roosters should be fine and not at all that difficult... but first taking care of these girls and making sure they are safe. The easiest thing would be to find them a home in NorCal. Wishing you a successful move and a happy outcome for the hens.

It's really 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. If they are as curious as my lot they will probably transition quite well & take comfort from the familiarity of their chicken keeper & enjoy a new environment. If you rehome everything will be new & that could be more stressful, especially older birds into an established flock.

Back
Top Bottom