Long dried blades of grass coming out vent! Normal???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Min Lille Norge, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Min Lille Norge

Min Lille Norge Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2010
    One of my 6-month old Buff's has been acting rather odd the past day or two--wants to just roost, her feathers are ruffled. Her eyes are alert and bright. Today, I found the blades of grass coming out of her vent that she seems unable to pass. I tried gently to pull on them, but they didn't budge. I cut them off as other birds were pulling on them. No other pronounced symptoms, but I can't find anywhere that this is a normal occurance or not? Thanks for any help!

2. shortstaque

shortstaque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    Wow thats freaky. I hope you find an answer.

3. Min Lille Norge

Jun 12, 2010
    Oh, no kidding! I just don't think that's supposed to happen! It's like it totally bypassed the crop! I'm concerned for her, poor little thing!

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Are you sure it was grass and not the carcasses of parasitic worms? They can appear to look like dried grasses if they are dead and moving out of the intestines.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

No, that is not normal. I'm kind of surprised grass could make it through the gizzard without getting ground up. Guess anything's possible.
    Eating long strands of tough grass can cause an impaction in the crop, so maybe she's a bit backed up.
    Can you feel her crop? Is it full and hard?
    Maybe give her some bread soaked in olive oil to help move things along.

Good luck, & hope she's feeling better soon. & you get more advice.

Imp

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If it's truely grass her crop and gizzard aren't doing their job. Does she have access to plenty of grit?

7. Min Lille Norge

Jun 12, 2010
    Thanks everyone for your kind responses! Gosh, I'll take another look at what I think is grass!! I haven't done any de-worming, but they have had quite a bit of pumpkin seeds lately, which I read would kill worms.

Yeah, I'm just floored that what I think is grass could have gone through her system and not gotten digested. Otherwise, her poop looks normal. She sure has been 'grunting' to get this 'grass' out of her!

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If she is infested with worms, pumpkin seeds will not help. I'd take a bit of her poo to the vet and have him look for worms (no, it doesn't have to be a chicken vet, any of them can check for worms, or have it done.) Or, if you think it is worms, start with Wazine to get the roundworms, then another wormer -- lots of info on here -- Epinrex is one you can use for the second round.

9. Min Lille Norge

Jun 12, 2010
    Well, I just went out and checked her little bottom, and it IS grass. I don't know how this is even possible. Her vent is very, very dry, and it doesn't look like she has pooped any in the last couple of hours (since I first discovered it all.) Her crop feels normal. Her face seems rather darker red than others, but she's also a bit more immature than the others.

I'll try the bread and olive oil and see if that 'lubes' her up. I was wondering about them eating the dry grass/hay that I had lined their nest boxes in. I saw them gobbling it down. But they are free range and have access to this grass anyways. I'm stumped.

I appreciate the suggestions on the de-worming. I like to try natural methods (pumpkin seeds) but would not rely on that either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by