Long, hard road of a blue cochin baby....Update: He's Gone....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by UrbanMama, Nov 15, 2008.

1. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have a blue cochin baby that isn't doing so well...it's been a long hard road for this little one!

It was one of the last ones in my last batch to hatch and I ended up having to help it. It had been pipped for well over 24 hrs and the outside looked like something had dripped out of it??? (I now believe it to be a combo of blood and yolk) The ooz that had dripped out created a cement and the chick was literally glued to the shell. I pipped some of the shell for it, wet the membrane with a warm wet q-tip and put it back in the hatcher. Several hours later, it still hadn't progressed. That ooz had glued the baby to the membrane. I snipped the section of down that the membrane was glued to, wet the membrane and put it back in. It eventually got out and was completely covered with that blood/yolk stuff.

I left it in the hatcher overnight (approx. 16 hrs) and when I checked on it the next day it was still completely wet looking. I took it out and that ooz had hardened into a crust all over the baby! It couldn't even poop because its bottom was crusted over. I cranked the heat in my house, got a bowl of warm water and proceeded to bath the chick. It took two bowls of warm water but I got most of the ooz off of it and the bottom un-stuck. Poop just started running out of the baby's bottom so it must have been getting plugged up. I did the kangaroo care thing and kept it bundled up against my skin until it was dry. I put her in her own brooder (I tried putting others in with it, but they pecked her)

This morning, she still wasn't looking so good. My daughter made up some of the electrolyte water and she's been guzzling it. She actually threw up 2x's because either she was drinking too much or too quick. Should I take it out? I bought some of the Poly Vi Sol drops that everyone talks about, but the only ones I could find are the ones with iron. That's a big no-no right?

Another of this chicks problems are its toes. The left foot is curled so it almost walks on its knuckles. I'm planning on trying to splint it once it's a bit stronger.

Which brings me to my question....how do you splint a feathered foot? Does the tape end up tearing the feathers off?

I'm still having to wipe the chicks bum every time it poops and she'll eventually have to have another bath (it's bum is still kind of crusty)

All in all, if this chick makes it, it'll be a miracle. I've never had this much drama in one hatch before.
    (This one, we have a 6 toes silkie and a silkie with a big knob on it's head...messed up air pockets and pipping the wrong end of the shell etc.)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Ther is such a fine line of knowing when and how to help and just letting nature take it's course. I battled the "help or don't help" issue the past two days. My case did not turn out nearly as rosie as yours. In the end, I procrastinated too late to help the chick out of the shell and it ended up expiring in the egg. I felt soooo bad as I had considered several times to go ahead and open the egg. It's just so hard to know. On the other side of the coin, you run the risk of opening the egg too soon and killing the baby for sure. I hate that there is no prescribed amount of time to go by! [​IMG]

I'm glad your little one made it!

3. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I would leave the electrolyte's in there, and maybe add a little sugar to it. That chick is going to be really weak for a few day'a because he had such a hard time getting out. I had a few that were stuck like that to the membrane and had to bath them also. So I believe you are doing the right thing. As far as the polyvisol, I believe the iron is a big no...no!! I would try to find some without if you can. Is the chick walking around yet?

Booting a feather-footed chick.....goodluck!! I would splint it asap though. The longer you wait the harder it is going to be to correct it. Once you splint it you may have to cut some feather's to take it off, but if that is the worse that will happen, it needs to be done! Goodluck. I hope your baby makes it.

Tiffany

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  4. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    I have had to put a boot on a Silkie chick before, and had no problem doing it. It usually just ends up falling off after awhile. The feathers didn't seem to be a problem. Good luck.

Paula

5. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] sending Get Well Soon wishes to Baby Blue Cochin. Fight baby Fight.

6. UrbanMama

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    This little one is still having problems. It will drink the electrolyte water, but won't eat. As a result, the poo is still runny, green and sticking to its bottom. I tried splinting it's foot, but it won't stay on. If possible, the foot almost looks worse. Almost like its turning in at the joint.

The chick keeps losing it's balance and rolling onto its back....which I then have to roll it over and its okay. I'm afraid to leave it alone. I've heard that they can die if left on their back too long.....

[​IMG]

My hubby keeps warning me not to get attached and that it probably won't make it....but I can't give up on it.

7. UrbanMama

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Update...the chick is dying.

I am soooo upset right now.

I know at this point I should probably cull it...but I just can't.

I'm disgusted with myself and dreading putting the next batch of eggs into the hatcher tomorrow. I know this could and probably will happen again and it makes me sick to even think about it.

I really hoped this one would make it.....

8. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:So sorry!! That's so yucky [​IMG] Maybe he will pull through tonight CROSSING FINGERS
    Hugs [​IMG]
    Christina

9. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Kelley -
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry about your little chick. But, try not to feel too badly. Sounds like you have done everything possible to help it out. Sometimes, the odds are just stacked too high and it's not meant to be. Will your DH cull it for you?

10. UrbanMama

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:He's at work and won't be home 'til around 3am EST. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by