LONG ISLAND CHICKEN PEOPLE - ABANDONED CHICKS...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stnkyferit, Dec 28, 2013.

1. stnkyferit

stnkyferit Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2012
    From Newsday:

~ More than two dozen baby chicks that were abandoned in a box outside a pet store on Friday are being cared for at a veterinarian's office in Valley Stream -- but employees say they are unsure what the next step will be for the flock. "We're going to have to find them a home, we can't keep them here," said Jennifer Emmerich, an associate veterinarian at Central Veterinary Associates. The 28 weeks-old, fluffy yellow chicks are already beginning to sprout wings and feathers, and they'll continue to mature quickly, Emmerich said. The chicks were discovered Friday afternoon outside Petland Discounts in Hempstead, on Fulton Avenue. Quincy Mohammed, 25, an employee there, found them -- he had opened the store's back door to empty out water from a mop bucket when he noticed what he described as a dingy, taped-up cardboard box. "I thought it was an empty box, but then I saw it moving and I heard noise," Mohammed said Saturday. "I immediately put on my gloves and checked inside the box and saw the baby chicks." With the help of an assistant manager, Mohammed brought the baby chicks into the bird room, which he said is kept warmer than the rest of the store. The chicks were given a new box and new bedding with hay, and were cleaned up, Mohammed said. But the pet store wasn't able to keep them. Emmerich said the vet's office received the chicks Friday evening -- employees had to run out for a bag of chicken feed, she said. "We definitely get a lot of different kinds of animals. I think this may be the first time we've gotten chickens," she said. "They're going to have to go to some sort of home somewhere that is able to house them. They're going to start growing pretty quickly."

Anyone want chicks?!?!?!?

I would bet my last nickel that this was a school hatching project....no one in their right mind would hatch in the winter....

2. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Its sad when people do this. Could you also post them on Craigslist as well as Kijiji ? Hope new homes are found soon.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by