Long Island Coops VS. Racoons/Opossum

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chick818, Apr 22, 2009.

1. chick818

chick818 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    We live in Western Suffolk on Long Island and we are building a chicken coop and run for our new (and 1st time) chicks. We have rabbits and a pond in the yard, and to this day (hope I don't jinx it) we have seen both in our yard but have had no problems with them attacking our animals. However, if it's the chicken eggs that they are looking for, will they be more determined and interested in getting in to the coop?

Thanks.

2. kartking22

kartking22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Chick818, Your first defence is to determine what preditors are in your area. Rabbits have been never known to attack a chicken or eggs. Racoons on the other hand may be attracted to your pond which may also bring them close to your chickens. This may be bad unless you know all of the tricks that racoons use to get at your birds. Although I have seen almost every one of thier tricks through trial and error, They still suprise me once in a while.
    I truly believe that your main problem will be rats. Feed the chickens only as much as they can eat in a day. Extra feed after hours WILL attract rats. Also, keep any feed that you have in a sealable metal container to keep them out. Once they find a food source, they are almost impossible to keep out and harder to get rid of.

3. chick818

chick818 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Quote:Ahh, yes and there are rats around here. But the rabbits I speak of are our pets, and to my knowledge the coons or opassums have not tried to get at them or the food. The squirrels on the other hand, have made several attempts at the food. Do you have your coop run area protected from the underground? If so does that help? What is the most common way they will try to get in?

Thank You

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by