Long legged chick, part Ostrich?(Pictures)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by featherfooted, Aug 2, 2008.

1. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    My silkie Fruit Loop is one of the best moms. This is her third hatch of the year, even though she only had 1 egg. This had been under 3 other hens that decided they didn't want to be moms after all. So Fruit decided she would handle the job and did a great job. This chick is the longest legged chick I ever seen. It a black Brahma from my Black Brahma hen and my Dark Brahma roo. When it hatched it took 2 days before it could walk. I guess they were cramped in the shell. Its fine now and is 2 1/2 weeks old. I had ordered some Barred Rock pullets from Ideal and they arrived 2 days after this chick hatched. As I was takeing them out to the brooder Fruit Loop heard them and had a fit until i put one with her so Long Legs as a little sister and Fruit loop is very happy. I sure hope Long Legs is a pullet. Here are some pictures of Long leggs with Fruit Loop and her little sister who is 3 days younger.

Long Legs

[​IMG]

FruitLoop with Long legs and Sis(the Barred rock is in the front)

[​IMG]

Fruit Loop and Long Legs

[​IMG]

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

I got a mix of brown egg layers this spring and several of the pullets looked like the long legged one. They were so different looking it frightened me. I was sure they were some prehistoric throwback! They turned out to be Black Sex-Links and absolutely beautiful when the sunlight hits those black feathers. Another thing I noticed about them was the compactness of their chick feathers when they started to sprout.
    Do you have RIR that might have mated with a BR? ='s a BSL.
    Hope this helps, Jean

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    When she is an adult all the roos will be following her around talking about the chick with the hot long legs. [​IMG] LOL She is adorable!!!!

4. featherfooted

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    All I have are Cochin and black and Dark Brahma hens and the only Roos I have are Dark and duckwing Brahmas. The brahma eggs are bigger and lighter in color than the Cochin eggs so I know it wasn't a Cochin egg. My Black Brahma hen had just gotten off the nest when I collected it. I just glad it made it after being left so many times. I really didn't think it would hatch and when it wasn't able to walk for 2 days, I thought something was wrong with it. It doing great now.

5. featherfooted

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    I guess She could be a chicken model.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by